Internet flooding since SL install.

Reaction score
Standard 24"IMac, 4gb, nothing special added.

I installed Snow Leopard yesterday and it went on fine. Everything seems to work ok, app-wise. However, I have a problem that is killing my Internet connection and so far I have found no clue.

Problem...
I use HughesNet for access (all that is available here except for 24k dialup) and am limited to 200 mbytes daily. This is far more than I normally use and have never had problems going over the limit. Which is good, because when you do they virtually shut you down for 24 hours.

Snow Leopard finished installing at about 15:00 yesterday. I used it the rest of the evening until about 20:00 when my 'Net connection slowed to a crawl. A check of Hughes site showed that I had just downloaded 240 meg in one burst. I assumed that something was trying to get updates, although I don't know what application would have an update that large. The System Preferences Updates option is set to manual. Besides, if I got some Apple update it would ask before it tried to install. This machine is fairly vanilla - that is, just the usual Apple supplied apps. (I mostly use it for programming).

I have searched the entire system for a file or folder with a time and date that covers the hour of the download and can find nothing with a date newer than the install time of SL, except for some minor items like Opera's history file. The PID list doesn't show any strange process running. At the time, nothing was active besides Mail, Opera and Xcode.

Today...
It worked fine all day, then at about 22:00 I suddenly noticed that the Activity Monitor in the dock was showing major incoming activity. A check right then showed that it had already downloaded 180 meg in the last few minutes. Again, I was doing nothing but reading a programming manual and typing in some code now and then. I immediately killed the ethernet connection and restarted and the activity stayed at a low normal. So the interruption killed the download/update/whatever.

Anybody got any ideas on how to identify what is coming in? Or who? My Linux experience isn't working here since the tools I have and know how to use don't work on OSX/BSD. Anybody else on Hughesnet having problems?

Konan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Do you have your firewall set up?

OP
K
Reaction score
I think I have found the problem. Buried inside of the preferences for Xcode is a checked auto-update checkbox for XCode documentation. I can't find a reference to the time between checks or the trigger for checking but it seems to be once a day. There are about 8 huge libraries totaling an unknowen number of gigs.

So, be advised all Xcoders on Hughesnet or some other download limited service. Turn it off and wait for your free download times.

Konan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Sorry I lost this thread. Glad you seemed to find the problem. You may want to look into a program called Little Snitch as well since I believe it will benefit you.

OP
K
Reaction score
Sorry I lost this thread. Glad you seemed to find the problem. You may want to look into a program called Little Snitch as well since I believe it will benefit you.

Thanks. My nephew also told me about Little Snitch, but unfortunately just after I had found the problem by hacking through about 50 pages of a netstat dump.

I'll keep it in mind for next time.

Konan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.