Need an Instrument Keyboard reccomendation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 INCH MBP Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 7200 RPM HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M-9600M GT
My mbp specs are up to date on the left. I have the SL upgrade. I would like to find a good musical keyboard to use with my garage band. I already checked out the M-Audio Keystation 61es which Other world Computing told me does not have a microphone jack, is not compatible with SL. I also looked at the 88es as well.

I would like a keyboard that has a Microphone jack and is compatible with SL. 61 keys it nice, 88 is better. I'm not a professional musician, but I am a musician LOL! I would like to be able to play and compose and am very curious about garage band. I am comfortable with technology and pick things up real fast.

So if one of you fine members here could point me in the direction of this It would be great!

Thanks!
Meri

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro/2.66 Ghz/4GB RAM/320GB HD/NVIDIA GeForce 9400 and NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Um..what is SL (Snow Leopard)...???.no prob... As for a keyboard with a microphone jack - you will need to get a controller keyboard (I assume you will be using a VST program/garageband is fine) and get a audio interface which will have a mic jack.

This is a decent interface which will do you good:
M Audio Fast Track Pro USB Audio Interface at AmericanMusical.com

Forget OWC for musical/MIDI....go to AmercianMusical.com...I have bought alot from them and they are great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD
Why do you want a mircophone jack on the the keyboard itself?

What will you use it for?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 INCH MBP Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 7200 RPM HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M-9600M GT
Um..what is SL (Snow Leopard)...???.no prob... As for a keyboard with a microphone jack - you will need to get a controller keyboard (I assume you will be using a VST program/garageband is fine) and get a audio interface which will have a mic jack.

This is a decent interface which will do you good:
M Audio Fast Track Pro USB Audio Interface at AmericanMusical.com

Forget OWC for musical/MIDI....go to AmercianMusical.com...I have bought alot from them and they are great!

Yes that looks real nice!
And I'm going to get started with garageband, I have never used it before and want to see how it is.

thank you!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why do you want a mircophone jack on the the keyboard itself?

What will you use it for?

I was hoping to get away with one piece of equipment. I wasn't even sure if there was a keyboard out there like that.

I sing too and would like to do recordings on my mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro/2.66 Ghz/4GB RAM/320GB HD/NVIDIA GeForce 9400 and NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Make sure you keyboard controller has a MIDI in/out...which most of them do. You will need a MIDI cable which usually comes with the keyboard..

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went over to read the M-Audio forums and someone there told me the Keystation 61es

There is no need to instal any driver to use it. It is class compliant device. It will work for sure

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you heard of the Behringer UMX61 61-Key MIDI Controller?

I can't find any recent reviews on it.
If anybody has any input that would be great :)

Thanks,
Meri

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you tell me if this is a workable solution:

I still have a complete bootable image of my osx 10.5 install.
If I put the 2.5" drive into an external firewire case and then just boot to this drive when I want to use a non snow leopard supported device (until there is support for sl) will it work?

It sounds to me like it will since its just a different boot drive.

This would be a temporary work around.

There are not too many midi controller keyboards out there in my price range that seem to be any good or are Snow Leopard compatible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is some info on M-Audio and SNow Leopard Support:

M-AUDIO - Knowledge Base

I would call M-Audio and ask/verify which MIDI Keyboard controllers & Audio Interfaces are compatable with snow leopard which I believe they are...
Mac do not require drivers for most hardware unlike that awful Windows OS

M-Audio is the way to go....stay away from Behringer

THere are a couple of M-Audio keyboards with audio interfaces/mic jacks (all in 1):

M-AUDIO - KeyStudio 49i - Keyboard-based Music Production System

M-AUDIO - ProKeys Sono 61 - 61-Key Portable Digital Piano with USB Audio Interface

M-AUDIO - ProKeys Sono 88 - 88-Key Portable Digital Piano with USB Audio Interface

However I would recommend a separate audio interface and keyboard controller....

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will probably stay away from the kb with a mic input, my brother told me for now I could get a decent mic and get an adapter for my mbp mic input. This way I can focus on the kb and get a separate controller for the mic later.

Im going to read the links you posted now, thanks!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update

A couple of weeks ago I received my M-Audio Keystation 61es is works perfectly good with Snow Leopard and Garageband. I love it, the keys feel good and I am very comfortable with it.

Thanks for all of the input, I love this forum it has truly helped to make my Mac experience the best!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good to hear. M-Audio is a good company and you should have a great time making music. Best of luck to all your musical endeavors. ;)

Macs rule the galaxy for musical applications so you picked the right computer for music!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macs rule the galaxy for musical applications so you picked the right computer for music!

I am seeing this for sure!!! Having a ball and waiting for my USB condensor microphone to arrive. I have already done a first project and had a great time was able to use my keyboard to be many different instruments as well as doing all my own vocal tracks. I love my mac and its versatility! I dont know what the heck took me so long to migrate :) I should have done it years ago!

It's funny both my bf and I are pc techs and he is also a network tech. He does not want me talking to his customers LOL :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.