Problems starting

Reaction score
Hello all. ive recently begun to have problems with my macbook and i dont know whats up.

My problem started when I had to reset my macbook one day and found that it would not boot up again. After trying everything i could, such as starting in safe mode and using single user mode,resetting the PRAM and SMC and such. I found i could now start up my macbook after it resets itself several times in about 5-10 mins.

Once im able to do things within the OS I tried repairing my disk permissions and the disk but apparently nothing was wrong, even after doing an archive and install.
There are no programs in my users startup options or in the start up folder.
I am also the only user of this macbook as i use it for Logic/Pro-tools/Reason and such.
I got new RAM and hard drive for the machine about a month ago (2x 2GB) and its been working smoothly since then. But just in case i put the old RAM back in and old hard drive. but alas the results are the same.

I also used the tool that comes with the apple care pack and apparently everything is working fine, much to my confusion. I am now running the AHT by holding the "D" key on startup and so far it has froze once on a long test (after being stuck on 45mins for about half an hour. Im doing another one right now but its being very slow. Im currently on 1h 15min... and the progress bar does not seem to be budging from about 60%. It also says pass number 2, if that helps)

Im fed up now because i start uni again soon and I NEED this to be working. Will they replace it for me? I live in Coventry and the nearest apple store on the website is in Solihul. Although there is a premium apple reseller or something called KRCS)

To let you know the macbook is a 2.1GHz intel core 2 duo with 4GB RAM (Originally 1) 7200.4 RPM 250GB SATA hard drive (previously 120GB, unsure of the speed...probably 5200 or something) 13.3 inch screen with a Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor

(I have also cleared duplicate fonts and updated to the most recent version of OSX)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
I got new RAM and hard drive for the machine about a month ago (2x 2GB) and its been working smoothly since then. But just in case i put the old RAM back in and old hard drive. but alas the results are the same.

This comment is a little confusing - if you put a new HD and RAM in and it was working OK why put back the old items?

OP
B
Reaction score
This comment is a little confusing - if you put a new HD and RAM in and it was working OK why put back the old items?

Because 1GB of RAM is not enough for what i do. the extra RAM helped with Protools/Logic/Reason and such. and i needed a bigger HD to fit logic on!

It was basically an upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
So by changing both RAM and the HD at the same time you had no idea which step made things work. Do it again but only with one or the other.

OP
B
Reaction score
Well to begin with, everything was working fine. But i upgraded and changed the RAM and HD. I done the HD about a week before the RAM... everything was fine. Then i added the RAM. Everything was fine. until now.

Ive put the old RAM in and the problem still persists, and since i used my old hard drive as an external hard drive (backing up and such from windows AND mac) the partition seems to have messed up to the point in which it wont even boot from the DVD. Even when i hold down the "D" key.

Im phoning apple in the morning... Im going to ask for a replacement because its getting silly now.

Reaction score
Put your new stuff back it that's not the problem. I mean the problem is still there. Do a fresh clean install and see if the problem is still there.

OP
B
Reaction score
okay. well since i used the old HD as an external to back up some media and such between both my PC and Mac the partitioning seems to have messed up on it. Even worse i cant boot from my install disk when either hard drive is put in.
And i know its not the RAM thats making the problem
Will apple replace my macbook? and if so, who do i ring (I do have applecare)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.