Mighty Mouse Scroll Wheel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
As the title suggests, the mighty mouse (or whatever it's name is) that came with my iMac has been acting up for the past two Months. The scroll wheel sometimes will not scroll up but will scroll down OK. Other times it's the total opposite way, it scrolls up but not down.

At first this was just one of those intermittent problems but now I find it is happening on a more regular basis. When this does happen I turn the mouse upside down and give it a light shake, all is well for about twenty to thirty minutes then the whole thing starts again.

Is this a common problem with these mice, if so, is there a fix. (Such as a regular supply of cheese:Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
One of the most common problems with Apple's Mighty Mouse (I have the wireless version and experience the same issue) is that the scroll wheel can get clogged up with muck and dirt quite easily. There are lots of guides to taking the mouse apart online to clean it which I wouldn't recommend unless you are prepared to buy yourself a new one when you break it (!!)

If you get a cotton bud, put a drop of water on the end of it and run it over the scroll wheel, rolling it as you do you should be able to remove lots of the dirt and muck. Unfortunately there will be some stuck on the inside but unless you want to take it apart, it's unlikely you will ever get it out.

Hope this helps!

OP
Gandalph
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One of the most common problems with Apple's Mighty Mouse (I have the wireless version and experience the same issue) is that the scroll wheel can get clogged up with muck and dirt quite easily. There are lots of guides to taking the mouse apart online to clean it which I wouldn't recommend unless you are prepared to buy yourself a new one when you break it (!!)

If you get a cotton bud, put a drop of water on the end of it and run it over the scroll wheel, rolling it as you do you should be able to remove lots of the dirt and muck. Unfortunately there will be some stuck on the inside but unless you want to take it apart, it's unlikely you will ever get it out.

Hope this helps!

Thank you True Bassist, I thought that would be the case. Similar problems with other mice over the years with Windows machines.

Many thanks for your reply. I will have a look at the strip-down procedure. I have two other USB mice standing by if anything goes wrong.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MacBook - 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD iPhone Specs: white 3GS - 32GB
I have a much better solution

I have the wireless mouse, and what I've been told to do is get out something like a clean piece of paper, and hold the mouse upside-down, where the scroll ball touches the paper, and whirl it around in a figure-8 motion. All the dirt should fall out.

M

MacInWin

I also use a blast of air from one of those cans of air to blow out the dust/debris. Holding the mouse upside down when blasting it with the air seems to be the best way to get it out every time.

OP
Gandalph
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that GK27V6, I'll give that a try also.

Cheers.

OP
Gandalph
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks jakerich, I haven't got any Air at the moment but I know the stuff you mean, I've used it before.

Many Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 inch
i bought a new one :'( :'( too bad the trash man already came by.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I got so sick of my Mighty Mouse acting up like that. Having to clean it every day was just ridiculous but didn't want to give up the 360º scroll, so I did some research and bought one of these:
0103_AMB08US_380.jpg

Targus Bluetooth Laser Mouse - battery lasts ages and is scrolls by looking at your finger! Fantastic. Best mouse I've ever used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
The other method i have used a few of times before resorting to this is to hold upside down with finger between vacuum nozzle and scroll ball to suck loose debris out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I have a much better solution

I have the wireless mouse, and what I've been told to do is get out something like a clean piece of paper, and hold the mouse upside-down, where the scroll ball touches the paper, and whirl it around in a figure-8 motion. All the dirt should fall out.

I have found this to be the best method and has worked marvelously for me. I use a clean sheet of printer paper and it works great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
Something I noticed when looking at the guide linked to above: the trackball assembly itself (trackball and gears) is the same trackball assembly used in many Blackberries. I know that you can purchase those online, so it might be possible to replace/customize the trackball on the Mighty Mouse itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, Macbook Pro & iPhone GS3
I had a wired mighty mouse which displayed the same symptoms in the past. There was a piece of advice somewhere in this forum to invert the mouse and rub (moving) the ball on something hard (like a pile of papers) vigourously for several seconds to dislodge the clog. I found this advice worked. Try it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac, standard apart from 256Mb VRAM
The paper trick just worked a treat for me :) Thanks GK27V6.

I'd been using the isopropyl alcohol (rubbing spirit?) on a rag/cotton bud method that never worked very well and had given up on ever having a reliable way to clean the scroll ball on my 3 year old MM.

I'd forgotten how much more control you have :)

It'll be interesting to see how long it works, but this way is much quicker and

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Imac, 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3
Thanks for the solutions here, I had the same problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.