CRT vs. LCD

S

shumyum

We are going to replace our Powermac G4 tower and we are torn between getting a G5 Powermac or G5 iMac. The problem is that our old 20" CRT monitor died last year and we are presently making due with a 15"CRT. We need to go back to the larger size SO if we get the Powermac, we are also looking at buying a monitor as well, which will put us over-budget.

The thing is, my wife is a professional photographer and many of her colleagues think that LCD screens are not up-to-snuff yet, especially in regard to color-matching. I personally can't tell the difference, but maybe I don't have "the eye". Any opinions out there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Are the Apple Cinema Displays an option for you?

I have one, the 23"––It's amazing! Check out apple.com/displays for more info

They have one numerous awards(listed on that page) for color matching, etc.

OP
S

shumyum

ApplejustWorks said:
Are the Apple Cinema Displays an option for you?

Unfortunately, no. We just can't afford it. But if these displays are "winning awards" does that mean the iMac displays are also good? (Perhaps I should have posted this in the iMac folder).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, that is true.. Offhand, I know that the 20" display in the iMac is exactly the same as the Cinema Display. I'm not sure about the 17" displays, but its worth checking out! My brother has a 17" iMac, and its wonderful. Honestly, I can't tell any difference between my 23" and his 17" other than size. The quality is simply phenomenal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
no, lcd isn't that great for color accuracy. I can give you a run down on monitors right quick, as I already did it for a friend, and apples displays aren't the best for color accuracy or the price, so :
note, this list is compiled from my experience and professional use of myself and/or friends. if there are questions, I'll try to answer what I can.

LCD Displays - Highest Quality

Eizo ColorEdge Displays - The ColorEdge series are simply the best displays made. Anyone who says LCDs aren't as good at CRT displays for mission critical color work hasn't worked with a ColorEdge. These displays are consistent edge to edge, have a large viewing angle, comes with a hood and a 10 bit internal look up table for superior calibration and gradations.
http://www.eizo.com/products/graphics/index.asp

NEC 2180UX/LaCie 321 - This display is also top notch. NEC's 1280UX is also sold under the LaCie name for the same price (~$1500). Like Eizo, it comes with a hood and has a 10 bit internal look up table.
http://www.necmitsubishi.com/produc...t=325&ClassificationFamily=1&Classification=1
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10503

LCD Displays - Best Value

Samsung's SyncMaster and LaCie Photon displays are very high quality at an affordable price (21" 1600x1200 for ~$900). I find these displays to be the best fit for most users. http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/...s+and+Related/Monitor/LCD+-+Digital&pageNum=2
http://www.lacie.com/products/range.htm?id=10016

LCD Displays - Inexpensive

BenQ - Most inexpensive LCD's are horrible to work with for demanding color-critical users but BenQ displays are impressive for their price range. Their viewing angle isn't a wide as the others mentioned above but the gamut, consistency and overall quality is noteworthy.
http://www.benq.us/Products/LCD/

LCD brands to avoid

Apple, Dell , HP, Viewsonic. I feel that I have to say this: Apple's displays look cool but they have a exceptionally high amount of inconsistency across the screen and darkening towards the edges. I have many clients that do excellent work on them but in comparison to the lesser priced "best value" options listed about I can't feel good about recommending Apple's displays. Dell, HP and ViewSonic displays can be hit or miss.

CRT Displays - Highest Quality

Sony Artisan and Barco Reference Calibrator. Artisan's and Calibrators are fun and trustworthy workhorses for mission critical color work but I have to urge you to do a side by side comparison with an Eizo ColorEdge before spending the money on one of these. Artisan's are no longer made but Barco continues to assemble Calibrators in Belgium.
http://displaysbysony.com/display/model.jsp?pCode=Artisan&pModelId=577 http://www.barco.com/prepress/

CRT Displays - Best Value

LaCie Electron Blue 4 - The dark blue LaCie displays are repackaged Mitsubishi displays with a matching hood. Mitsubishi stopped all CRT production last year but you can still find these in stores. LaCie is pushing their excellent new 321 LCD with is a repackaged NEC 2180UX.
http://www.lacie.com/products/range.htm?id=10041

Credit: Scott Martin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Although I do agree with that Apple displays do have a relatively high amount of inconsistency across the screen, I have yet to see one with it. As well, Apple will continue to roll out new ones to you until you are satisfied,(I had 3 dead pixels, now I have a perfect display). Once you get a good one, they displays are indeed exceptionally perfect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea, apple displays are ok, but I mean for accuracy and digital output or printing, the apple lcd's are off pretty much of the time, even when calibrated, they are still not as good as many other monitors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some of Dell's notebooks outperform Powerbooks, which do you choose?

Sometimes the best, may really not be the best.

OP
E

Echo_

apple 20 inch widescreen 999
dell20 inch widescreen+coupon 599

difference- none same panel w/ 2 usb

i think its sad that apple marks up the price so much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Echo_ said:
apple 20 inch widescreen 999
dell20 inch widescreen+coupon 599

difference- none same panel w/ 2 usb

i think its sad that apple marks up the price so much

Ever think of the quality of the entire general display? Apple's displays aren't exactly made of that ugly plastic crap Dell puts on them..Plus, the build quality is FAR superior with ALL apple products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
true, but the fact that the color isn't as accuracy as it could be makes it less appealing to someone like myself who looks for a display that will be used professionally and have to be able to display colors as they will print. though I really love apples displays. for my g5, whenever I get it, I might get an apple display simply for the look.

OP
S

shumyum

Thanks for the comments, even if it puts a wrench in the works for us. I wonder: if we get an iMac and we aren't satisfied with the monitor, will it be a pain to replace?

Macfan: we were very happy with our old monitor (a Sony, I think) until it died...this was probably due to two moves, one cross-country). It's just that a powermac PLUS a new CRT monitor will break the bank for us. I've been pushing my wife to look into used monitors, but she's reluctant.

OK, thanks again!

Justin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you can't replace the display in an imac, and if you can., it will cost much more than buying another monitor and using that as a second display, but I'm 95% sure you can't replace the display in an imac. try refurbished displays, they usually are just as good as new and come with a warranty, and apple has refurbished displays on their site, also try LaCie, they have a clearance corner, and also sell refurbished displays.
but the imac display is good too.

OP
E

Echo_

ApplejustWorks said:
Ever think of the quality of the entire general display? Apple's displays aren't exactly made of that ugly plastic crap Dell puts on them..Plus, the build quality is FAR superior with ALL apple products.

well considering whats important is inside not the casing theyre the same...
and considering that apple doesnt even build it you can compare the quality

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
yea, apple displays are ok, but I mean for accuracy and digital output or printing, the apple lcd's are off pretty much of the time, even when calibrated, they are still not as good as many other monitors.
Well of corse you have to calibrate it with something like a spider pro. I did that and now my 23" is almost perfict for pro photography.

OP
S

shumyum

Well, we've decided to suck it up and get a powermac G5 dual processor instead of the iMac (what's a little more debt, after all). Displays aren't as expensive as we thought (thanks for the pointers to refurbished displays!) and it really does seem more cost effective in the long run to get a more powerful computer that will probably have less maintenance problems. This also buys us some time as far as deciding which monitor to get (we'll make due with our 17" for now).

My wife (the photographer) DID have the bright idea to call her color labs and ask about monitors. THEY are the ones she has to match color with, after all. One person she talked to was all about the CRTs, but most said an LCD should be fine. Interesting: some said they had macs at home but were frustrated that they had to use PCs at work. Sounds familiar. However, none were particularly "loyal" to Apple as far as displays go.

Reaction score
I Thought apple displays were some of the best out there, if they aren't that good, im not saying you aren't telling the truth, because im sure you know more about apple products than i do but if apple dispays are so in consistant,why do pros use them so much for there studio work for photos and for videos?????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
they are fairly accurate when it comes to a screen rep for something digital that will remain digital, but in my business, something digital gets outputted to a press or other means, in that case, they are not accurate, especially when you need to know that colors will print out as you see them, which is most, if not all of the time.

OP
O

onsight

Hi Vincent (Macman), my name is Scott Martin. Do you know who I am? In post #5 you have plagiarized the display information from my business' newsletter claiming to have written it yourself. I don't mean to embarrass you publicly but your profile won't let me send you an email.

You are not on my mailing list - I'd like to ask who forwarded this information to you? You can reply to me at [email protected]

Scott Martin
Digital Imaging Consultant
www.on-sight.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.