CRT vs. LCD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I've already emailed him, I'm waiting to see what happens. I explained to him that though I don't know him, I do get many emails and newsletters, though I don't remember who I got that from, I did write such a list, though mine was aimed at display types for certain uses, not quality versus price so much, and was busy, so I wrongly copied and pasted it in as I was in a hurry. i have never met this person, and have never heard of him, but it was definitely wrong, just because I was in a hurry and couldn't find the one I wrote at the moment is no excuse, I should have posted what I could remember from memory and posted the actual write up later. This is no excuse, though I mentioned to him in an email that it was sent me in no particular format that I can recall such as 'this person wrote this', but that doesn't make a difference. basically, this is unacceptable to me, and had I known it had been written as a specific purpose in a publication sort of newsletter of any kind. The Bottom line, I was wrong, and am waiting for his email where I told him I can edit it or have it deleted from the thread by a mod or admin, either way, once he decides, I can not personally, knowing that i did wrong, (though its almost exactly like my write up, though I didn't have the eizo display listed at all, let alone as the highest quality.). Basically, once he lets me know what action to take, and I take it, I won't be a part of this forum anymore. and as far as him not being able to send me an email through my public profile, my settings are set so that anyone can email me, so I can not say what happened there, though i do receive emails from other members directly, either way, you will see the change in this thread, either an edited or deleted post. and thats it. I will maybe see you all around here or there. later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yes, plagiarism is wrong.

However if this was a simple mistake, it's easily fixed and easily preventable in the future. There's no reason to leave a board over it.

Unless there's more to this story than we know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Macman said:
I've already emailed him, I'm waiting to see what happens. I explained to him that though I don't know him, I do get many emails and newsletters, though I don't remember who I got that from, I did write such a list, though mine was aimed at display types for certain uses, not quality versus price so much, and was busy, so I wrongly copied and pasted it in as I was in a hurry. i have never met this person, and have never heard of him, but it was definitely wrong, just because I was in a hurry and couldn't find the one I wrote at the moment is no excuse, I should have posted what I could remember from memory and posted the actual write up later. This is no excuse, though I mentioned to him in an email that it was sent me in no particular format that I can recall such as 'this person wrote this', but that doesn't make a difference. basically, this is unacceptable to me, and had I known it had been written as a specific purpose in a publication sort of newsletter of any kind. The Bottom line, I was wrong, and am waiting for his email where I told him I can edit it or have it deleted from the thread by a mod or admin, either way, once he decides, I can not personally, knowing that i did wrong, (though its almost exactly like my write up, though I didn't have the eizo display listed at all, let alone as the highest quality.). Basically, once he lets me know what action to take, and I take it, I won't be a part of this forum anymore. and as far as him not being able to send me an email through my public profile, my settings are set so that anyone can email me, so I can not say what happened there, though i do receive emails from other members directly, either way, you will see the change in this thread, either an edited or deleted post. and thats it. I will maybe see you all around here or there. later.

pleeeaaaaaaase don't leave.....
:eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
schweb said:
Yes, plagiarism is wrong.

However if this was a simple mistake, it's easily fixed and easily preventable in the future. There's no reason to leave a board over it.

Unless there's more to this story than we know?
theres no more to the story than what's been posted here, but I should never have done such a stupid thing, and IMO, don't deserve to be on the forum, and I can not forgive myself for something like this, though I've not done anything like this before, and never will again, the fact still stands that I did it, and it's not that I seek forgiveness of any kind, though scott already told me he is not mad at me or anything, but there's no way I can rightly stay a part of this great forum after such a thing. I am not saying that anyone here has said that I shouldn't be here because of this, and I don't expect anyone will, but as a mac user, and a person, this was so wrong, I just can't see my being allowed to stay, and I can't
think nothing of it and think it will be ok after this. I may linger around sometimes, here or there, but as you all know the type of person I am, I wouldn't stand for this, as I don't expect for any of you to.

OP
K

Kokopelli

It was a mistake and wrong. Everyone makes mistakes, running from them does not help. You are a useful part of the community and have helped many with your advice. Leaving the boards does nothing but allow yourself to hide from your past mistake and helps no one.

I hope you reconsider and stay as part of the community and continue your useful contributions. I think I can say with some certainty that everyone here has made mistakes in their life that they regret.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
as I explained to schweb, I don't see it as running, more like respectfully resigning any place on the forums as I stated above, this is something I can not allow to simply happen and then say 'o well, it was a mistake'. I may reconsider, I'm going to talk to scott martin and try to find out exactly what happened as far as how I was sent this info, and in such a way that did not state it was from him, or that it was part of any newsletter. I will be pretty busy today, so I might stop by later, or if I have a minute.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
mistakes are okay. it is one of the best methods for learning. but a mistake of a certain nature is only acceptable once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, after discussion with schweb, and scott martin, I'm trying to find out how I got this info, but scott martin thinks I should not leave, and is not mad at me or anything, so I will stay. though it will not be as before, as I doubt my opinion will mean as much.
IMO, its also a question of integrity, which I have, but I suppose we will see what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacAddikt said:
mistakes are okay. it is one of the best methods for learning. but a mistake of a certain nature is only acceptable once.
I agree, though as far as I'm concerned, this mistake isn't even acceptable once.

OP
S

StarDrifter

Okay, back to the topic, Dell has just released a 24" LCD monitor that does 1920x1200 resolution.

Any opinions?

Also just wondering, are Apple the only ones that make an LCD above 24" with a high resolution? I've seen plenty of 30" screens from other manufacturers but they only do 1278x768

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
StarDrifter said:
Also just wondering, are Apple the only ones that make an LCD above 24" with a high resolution? I've seen plenty of 30" screens from other manufacturers but they only do 1278x768

I wouldn't be suprised if they are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
the 24" dell has released has less pixels per inch than the Apple Displays(thats bad)

Yes, the apple display 30" is 2560 x 1600. The pixels per inch on each of apples display are approximateley the same. They are not, however, on other manufacturers.

OP
S

StarDrifter

Yes, the Dell may be less per inch than Apple but it's also half the price. If you don't do professional digital image editing or video editing and don't need such a high number of pixels, the Dell is good.

I wonder if Dell or other manufacturers will be releasing anything above 24" any time soon that does 1920x1200 or above. 28" would be a good size I think to use for Computer as well as doubling up for a TV/DVD viewing (as you'll be sitting a bit further away)

OP
K

Kokopelli

The 24" Dell is the same resoluion as Apple's 23" display so I would hardly call the pixels per inch bad. To go into the higher resolutions such as the 30" Apple display offers your graphics card choices are somewhat limited. Due to this restriction I would guess that panels with that kind would be limited runs, like for Apple and panels made for graphics intensive professions.

As far as the 24" display goes, the Dell is nice. It definitely has the awe factor going when you first see it. I am partially color blind but the colors seem good to me. Text is crisp, though not outstanding.

OP
S

StarDrifter

I haven't actually had a firsthand look at the display as yet, but looking at the info online, the specs are impressive for such a price:

- 1920x1200 resolution
- 500 cd/m2 brightness
- 1000:1 contrast ratio
- 178-degree viewing angle

It also has a lot of inputs too - DVI, VGA, Component, Composite, S-Video.

So you can plug in your xbox if you want to play some games. It's also got 4 USB 2.0 hub on it too.

I'm actually thinking of using this monitor for TV/DVD as well. I'll be sitting about 5-7 feet away. For those who've actually seen this monitor, can you comment on how it looks when viewing at a distance of 5-7 feet? Does it look "small" at that distance. I was actually thinking along the lines of a 28" but it doesn't exist, and the 30" Apple is too expensive and is overkill for what I'm using it for.

OP
K

Kokopelli

It looks pretty good for TV/DVD viewing, though at close range I was less impressed by DVD playback through DVI. That may have be the graphics card though. There is also a bit of ghosting if you look for it but as you get farther away it is less noticable. I had one on order but then cancelled my order due to 3 delayed shipping notices and a guilty conscience. One of my less guilt ridden friends has one though, and it is nice. I will get one eventually, once I can justify the $1200.

As for whether it would look small at that distance. I do not think so. If you want an idea of the size, cut out a cardboard layout to the same dimensions and position it as you woud the monitor. That will give you an idea as to visual span. Then compare that to your TV when it is aproximately the same visual span.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
I don't know why people are complaining about the dells. They are about the best relatively cheap lcds around, well the digi ones anyway. I have a 1703FP display and its great! They are affordable too.
Alex

OP
S

StarDrifter

Kokopelli said:
It looks pretty good for TV/DVD viewing, though at close range I was less impressed by DVD playback through DVI. That may have be the graphics card though. There is also a bit of ghosting if you look for it but as you get farther away it is less noticable.

A bit of ghosting did you say .... hmmm .... what about black levels/shadow detail?

How do you think it compares to the LCD TVs - say the Sharp Aquos 26" for DVD playback?

OP
K

Kokopelli

I have never seen a LCD TV outside of the store so I am not sure. Blacks are good for an LCD, though I have seen better. The thing that gets me with most LCD panels, including this one, is in that shadows get boxy. I can not see it from a distance but up close can make it out. Still the Dell seems better than my Mitsubishi DiamondPoint. (Granted the DiamondPoint is 2 years or so old.) On the ghosting my friend had to point out what to look for before I spotted it. She is a bit more anal about such things than I am.

I am not sure if it will help or whether you have already seen it but extremetech has a review where they cover black/white levels as well as color variance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.