Macbook Boot Problem

Reaction score
Hi,

Im hoping for a bit of help with a problem I have with my Macbook. Ive got a white Macbook Intel 2.0GGhz Core 2 Duo, 2Gb, 80Gb, DVD-CDRW with 10.5 installed.

I was using the day before yesterday and shut it down that evening. I booted it up yesterday to find that it had a white screen with a flashing folder that has a question mark on it.

I spent the whole day trawling through forum after forum trying to find an answer.

If i take the hdd and plug it into my imac as an external hdd - i can see the data and pull it all off fine.

Ive reset the pram, I can't boot off CD, that does nothing. If i hold alt down on boot it shows up a white screen with a black cursur.

Ive changed the hdd, - same. Ive formatted the disc with my imac and installed the os on it but as soon as I put it into the macbook the same thing happens white screen flashing folder with a question mark on it.

Ive now hit a stump, the new hdd with 10.6 works and boots fine on my imac but I cant get the macbook to boot up.

Any help would be greatlay appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, is your MacBook covered under Apple care? If it is, make an appointment and take it on in.

You've pretty much eliminated any hard drive problems so we can put that aside. That doesn't leave much... There is a possibility that the logic board may have failed. But before we get into that, let's reset the System Management Controller (SMC) to see if that might be the problem.

See the following Apple KB article and follow the instructions given. Post back with results.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. Ive more or less ruled the hdd out now, its working fine booting as the main drive from my imac. Its no longer under warranty.

I reset the SMC controller, but it made no difference. Still the smae flashing folder with a question mark.

Any other ideas?

Thanks Again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.