cannot connect to Linksys router

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used Macbook 13" 2.2ghz. I previously had an ibook that connected easily to my home network which includes a linksys wireless n router one iMac 1.9ghz iSight and one eMac 1.25ghz. (all connected wirelessly)

With the iBook all I had to do was choose my network which was named "linksys" put in the key and was surfing. Now with this new macbook it detects my network "linksys" I put in the netowrk key but when I try to log on to the net it says page cannot be displayed (both safari and firefox). I also tried taking all security settings off but still wont connect. (I checked the iMac and eMac when the security settings were off and they connected fine)Now here is the part that I cannot understand. It "see's" my other computers on the network and I can access them, transfer files to my macbook and so forth. When I check the airport status its green but says something about an ip address and that it cannot connect to the internet. I manually put in my router address used the ip address from iMac, took my iMac off the network but the macbook still will not connect to the internet.

What am I missing or what am I doing wrong here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
It seems like you are not getting the IP from your router. Like the DHCP isn't giving your new mbp the ip. Maybe try restarting the router. Then restart your macbook and see if it gets an ip address. I suggest leaving the other computers off first and focus on getting your MBP internet first. Then worry about the others. Maybe there is an IP conflict or something.

I know that I started to have problems as I went from leopard to snow leopard. Every time that I shut my lid and then opened it back up, then it wouldn't connect to my wireless network. Linksys N router. I then had to manually connect to it by manually adding the network by putting in the SSID and then put in the WEP password and then I haven't had problems since. It was really weird. Hope you figure it out.

Reaction score
A client of mine had a linksys N router (small black one with no antenna, can't remember the model) and I had to update the firmware to get his Macs to connect...might want to check and see if there's an update for yours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A client of mine had a linksys N router (small black one with no antenna, can't remember the model) and I had to update the firmware to get his Macs to connect...might want to check and see if there's an update for yours.

wow good idea.... I didnt think of that. I have the same one you are talking about.

might try that as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so now I am having trouble updating my firmware.

I have the wrt160n router. I have version 3.0.00. I then download firmware update 3.0.02 and then it goes to my download folder.

I then go to administration and then click the file wrt160n3.0.02.bin and upgrade.

It gets to about 98 percent and then says FAIL. So i dunno i am just going to keep it the same but however the new one has some good fixes.... HELP ME someone. am I doing something wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am doing it via an ethernet cable. Am I doing the right steps? just wondering... I thought maybe I have to unzip the .bin file? But I think all you need is the .bin file right?

Reaction score
I think I had to try it on a couple different machines before I got it to work...maybe try rebooting the router and see if that helps?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What web browser are you using to log into the Linksys? I had an issue on a network service call a month back with a 160n using Safari 4. I had to use Firefox to upgrade and save settings. Something about the firmware was not getting along with Safari 4.

Also if that is not the issue try holding down the reset button in the back for 10 seconds or so till it resets and try it again. You will loose all your settings but you can put those back.

Let us know what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So you are saying that I should download firefox (ewww) and then try it via that? I am willing to try anything.

So just to confirm should I hold the reset button down 1st or after I do the firmware upgrade? Lemme know

thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
So you are saying that I should download firefox (ewww) and then try it via that? I am willing to try anything.

So just to confirm should I hold the reset button down 1st or after I do the firmware upgrade? Lemme know

thanks

The only reason I am first recommending trying Firefox is the issue I had with that clients Linksys like yours. I just could not get things to update till I tried Firefox.

The Reset idea is after you try Firefox and still it will not update the firmware, then try the reset. Can't hurt since it's not working now! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok good deal. I am off to bed. I am too tired to deal with this anymore. Plus the game is on. I will let you know how it goes though tommoro. I hope it works.

Reaction score
Thanks for mentioning that dtravis7, I think I had the same browser issue now that I think about it (been a few months back now).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well you were right. I switched to firefox on my imac and then it upgraded it. Flawless. And another thing, everytime I am on safari I can't click changes. It just drops the connection. Linksys should probably fix this or us mac users can't use it without going to firefox. Lame. So use firefox and it will work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.