Formatting Mac Partition to NTFS

Reaction score
I a currently using a macbook pro with os x 10.6 leapord, i would like to dual boot windows 7 onto it, however i do not know how to format the partition to NTFS as my disk assistant thing only gives the option of ms-dos !!
Please could i have instructions on how to format the partition to ntfs and install win 7 onto it !! Many thanks in advance :) ;D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Use the Boot Camp Assistant to create the Windows partition (Applications => Utilities). Before you proceed, be sure to print out and thoroughly digest the documentation (you will be prompted to do so during the process).

Windows 7 isn't officially supported on Boot Camp yet, but the Vista drivers seem to work fine.

OP
A
Reaction score
it says "the startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition" what shud i do ??!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Have you already made changes to the partition structure using Disk Utility? If so and you undid those changes, you may need to do a full reboot before using the Boot Camp Assistant.

If that doesn't work, you may need to entirely reformat the drive and restore from the backup you made just prior to mucking about in Disk Utility (you did back up, didn't you?).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not nearly enough info there, but I'll play mind reader.

Am assuming you are now in BootCamp Assistant and that you already created a partition in Disk Utility.

If this is the case, you need to go back into Disk Utility and restore the OS X partition to the full disk.

Am not responsible if you hose your OS X install, but you do have a backup - right?

After you have restored the disk to a single partition, then try BootCamp Assistant again.

OP
A
Reaction score
i have a retail install disk which is ok, err ok, shall i make one partition then use bootcamp or something??

Reaction score
Do not make partitions except from Boot Camp Assistant. Period. Start with a single, normal OSX disk. Then, get your Windows retail disk ready, open Boot Camp Assistant, have the guide ready, and get started.

Print out and follow the BC installation guide to the letter. Also read the two stickies at the top of this forum. PLEASE. These three things will answer 99% of your questions.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.