Folders inside Applications Folder?

Reaction score
I have my Applications folder in the Dock for quick access to apps I don't use regularly (don't want to use up dock space for their individual icons). The list of apps is really long though.

If I create sub-folders inside the App folder and move (drag) some of the previously installed apps into these sub-folders, will that cause operational problems?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It will not cause problems with any of the apps that are merely a drag and drop installation.

It can cause problems with some programs that use their own installer package. When I run into this, so far the issue has been easily resolved by simply moving that app back to where it was. Have not taken the time with any of these to uninstall and then re-install into the sub-folder which should work also.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thank you for the answer. I'll try it and move them back if I experience problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.