How do I share a Printer to Windows Machine?

S

Spaceboy88

I've got a Mac with a printer hooked up into it. I have a windows laptop connected with wi-fi. How do I set the laptop up to read the printer being shared from the Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I'd like to start by saying that there are several threads on this, so I'll just explain in a quick overview sort of way, there may be a few steps I summarize or skip because they are very easy, but if you need some clarification, ask here.
ok, on your Mac, go to the System Preferences and select Sharing. Click on the Services tab and check the box next to Windows Sharing.

Next, go to your Windows PC and pull up the Network Neighborhood or the link that says 'View workgroup computers'. Click on the icon for your Mac and you should see entries for each printer you are sharing on your Mac. Click on the printer you wish to use and you will be presented with the Add Printer Wizard.

No matter what kind of printer you have, tell the Wizard to use the Apple LaserWriter driver for black & white printers or the Apple Color LaserWriter for color printers. This will ensure that Windows will generate good PostScript code that will be translated correctly to your printer.

You should now be able to print from Windows to your Mac-connected printer. There are a couple of other steps that you may need to take if you are running a version of OS X previous to 10.3 Panther, but again, if you need more clarification, post here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is sharing turned on on the mac? is the firewall on on the mac? if your firewall is on, and sharing is on, check system preferences>sharing>services tab>check windows file sharing and printer sharing, can the machines see each other at all;ie, can you see the windows box from the mac or vice versa?

OP
S

Spaceboy88

Those settings are all checked and it's not showing up. Does it matter that my Windows Laptop is connected wirelessly thru the router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no, a wireless connection won't make a difference. is sharing on on the windows box?
try making appletalk active on the mac if it still won't work.

OP
S

Spaceboy88

Macman said:
no, a wireless connection won't make a difference. is sharing on on the windows box?
try making appletalk active on the mac if it still won't work.

That did the trick! :) You're a genius!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
great, enjoy it. if you need more help, we're here.:mac:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.