• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

convert .exec to movie format

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a biology teacher, and back when I had a windows machine (ughh), I had a student create some animations clips about genetics themes. When I transffered all my files to my new Mac (yey!) the animation clips appeared only as blank, gray icons with "exec" written on them.

In fact, the exec files play with Quicktime so the animation data is preserved in the format somehow.

I know I could just always play them with Quicktime, but I would like to comvert the blank, gray exec files into something more friendly, compatible and durable, with an icon that shows part of the animation, for example. Perhaps an iMovie file of some kind?

I really don't know much about animation, video and movie comversion, so your help is appreciated.

I have a Macbook running OS X 10.5.7

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
it would help if you could find out what the original file format was so you can find an appropriate convertor between formats

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" 2.13GHz - Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB DDR2 Memory - 160GB HD - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Hmm.
From your description, it sounds like you're describing the icon for a unix executable file.
Picture%2023.jpg

If they play fine, I'd leave them the way they are. I really don't know how to change the format.

You can, however, very easily change the icons.

1. Select one of the animations.

2. Hit COMMAND-I to bring up the get info panel, we'll use this in a bit.

3. Double click the file to play it, I'm assuming that's what you do to play it.

4. Now this is tricky, I hope you've done you're finger stretches.
Simultaneously press COMMAND-CONTROL-SHIFT-4, this will bring up a cross hair cursor with the coordinates of the location on your screen. If you where to click and drag, the area you selected would become an image in your clip board. DON'T DO ANYTHING YET.

5. Press the space bar. Your cursor will now be a camera. Hover this over the animation and wait for the frame that you want to use as the icon. When your at a good spot simply click. That frame of the animation is now in your clip board.

6. Go over to the 'Get Info' panel that I had you open in step 2 and click on the icon preview in the top left making sure that there is a subtle blue highlight behind it.

7. Hit COMMAND-V to paste the captured frame to the file's icon.

8. Viola!

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the info so far

Hi.

Thanks for the info so far.

Yes, the files are currently Unix executable files.

I will definately change the icon as you describe.

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know if I can change a Unix executable file that plays in Quicktime to another more convenient video file?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
what exactly do you mean by convenient? what yould you like to use to play the file? you mentioned iMovie, but to me it seems that Quicktime is pretty good to play short clips

OP
B
Reaction score
Yes, you're right. Quick Time is fine. I changed the extension for each file name to .mov and miraculously (to me!) the icons changed to the animations/pictures, so I'm happy.

Problem solved.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" 2.13GHz - Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB DDR2 Memory - 160GB HD - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Cool, I'm glad that worked for you.

I wonder why your computer thought they were exec's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Iphone 3G 16GB
maybe they didn't had an extension and osx couldn't find information about the file type since they came from a windows machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.