Burning Data & Audio CDs

S

Spaceboy88

Can someone explain to a recent switcher how I make an exact copy of a CD.

Thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
well, are you using toast or some other burning software? or would you like to know how with software and such built into os x?

OP
S

Spaceboy88

Macman said:
well, are you using toast or some other burning software? or would you like to know how with software and such built into os x?

I'd like to know how to do it with OS X software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
to make an exact copy of an audio cd,
1. insert the disc and open itunes
2. click the cd in the left column, all tracks should have a check mark next to them,
3. in the upper right corner of itunes, click import, this rips the cd to your hd, format and bit rate can be set in itunes preferences,
4. the ripped songs will appear in the library in itunes,
5. create a new playlist and name it what you want.
6. drag and drop the songs from the library to that playlist
7. click burn in the top left corner of the itunes window. specify in itunes preferences>burning if you want to burn an mp3 or audio cd.when its done burning, you can delete the cd's tracks from the library and delete that playlist you made if you don't need them.
to copy a data cd, you can do it 2 ways:
1. insert the disc, double click it on the desktop, drag its contents to a folder on your hd.
then insert the blank cd, finder asks what youd like to do, click initialize, then name it, drag and drop the contents you have on the hd to the blank cd on the desktop, when its done copying, eject it, itll ask if you wanna burn it, click burn, it burns.
or
open disk utility from utilities folder, click the cd in the left column after it says gathering disk info, then click Image>New>image from "cd name", then save it to your hd, it copies that cds contents as a disk image on your mac where ever you save it, then eject that disk, mount the disk image and in disk utility, select it in the list on the left and click burn.

OP
S

Spaceboy88

I have a protected Audio CD that I cannot rip in iTunes. That's why I'm trying to make an exact copy of it. Is there another way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thats illegal if its copy protected, but toast or dragon burn or some other 3rd party app will copy it.

OP
S

Spaceboy88

Macman said:
thats illegal if its copy protected, but toast or dragon burn or some other 3rd party app will copy it.

It's a disc that I paid for that is copy protected. It's not illegal to make a backup copy.

If I could just rip the songs off onto my iPod, that'd be fine...but it won't show up in iTunes.

OP
S

Spaceboy88

meltbanana314 said:
Hilary Rosen thinks otherwise, unfortunately.

She may think that, but according to Title 19, I have the right. The law has more power than that dumb c-u-next Tuesday.

OP
K

Kokopelli

Regardless of whether it is legal or not MacMan has answered your question. Toast can do the copy for you. You might also be able to create an image using disk utility as he described, just not rip to iTunes. (P.S. I think you mean Title 17. Title 19 covers customs duties.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
also, if you had toast and made a copy, you can rip the copy as it usually wont copy the
protection as well. it wont show up in itunes? thats odd, does it appear on the desktop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Macman said:
also, if you had toast and made a copy, you can rip the copy as it usually wont copy the
protection as well. it wont show up in itunes?

That's exactly what I would expect.

[soapbox] For what it's worth, I would never buy a CD by an artist whose label uses copy protection. I paid for it, I should be able to do what I want with it for my own use. [/soapbox]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thats true, but many labels are slowly moving to copy protection as piracy grows, not pirating and actually purchasing the music helps the industry. its like with tracks from ITMS, you should be able to do what you want with them after you pay for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.