can i upgrade & how?

Reaction score
i'm currently running on version 10.4.7 tiger but want to upgrade to leopard, is this easily done and will it totally format the drive which i'm hoping 4 ????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums al.

First up you need to be running a machine with at least an 867MHz processor ~ you have not supplied machine details. Purchase a full retail install version of Leopard and do an archive and install. If you opt for a clean install the drive will be wiped.

All your old files etc will be stored in a folder named Old OS or similar under Archive and Install. Be aware some application s that work in Tiger may perhaps not in Leopard, such as Cache Cleaner.

Also Leopard will require adequate memory, say 1.5/2GB.

OP
A
Reaction score
hi harry, thanx 4 the reply.
went on the system info page, looks like i've only got 1.25gb of memory so does that mean i'll have to stick with tiger?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
I would probably go further than Harry and remove 3rd party apps from Tiger, do the Leopard Install and then download those same apps again for Leopard. For most Apps may not be essential but it is hard to know ahead of time which of the 3rd party ones will give you bit of a run round.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I have leopard running on a 1.25GHz eMac with 512MB of memory. You'll be fine with 1.25GB. 1-2GB of RAM for leopard is over kill. I mean, it's nice, but definitely not necessary. Safari 4 opens on that eMac in 1 bounce. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. If you want to be running a ton of apps simultaneously, then I'd consider upping your RAM, but with 1.25GB you should be able to do a lot more than my fiancee does on the eMac and she can run probably 3 or 4 apps simultaneously (nothing too intense, of course).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP I was referring to the processor speed for the install to work, not the memory. 1.25GB will run Leopard but like everything else, more is better. As we do not know the model details, can't advise on how much memory you can actually install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.