Can't save on Ubuntu - Says not enough disk space!

Reaction score
Exclamation Can't save on Ubuntu - Says not enough disk space!
Hi,
I have installed Ubuntu 9.04 on my Macbook Pro via Bootcamp.
I allowed 10 GB of space on the partitions. It divided the 10GB of space between Ubuntu (linux) and the hard drive called "BootCamp"
I have been able to run Ubuntu but when I want to save anything it says that there is not enough space. This is because Hard drive called "BootCamp" took approx 8GB out of the 10GB leaving only 2GB to the Ubuntu (Named Linux) folder.

When I install things (e.g go into the Add/Remove and get an app), I want it to install onto the Hard Drive called "bootcamp" but at the moment it tries to install it into the Ubuntu (Linux) folder and then comes up with the error message like the one that I have attatched and other error messages saying insufficient space.

Thanks,
John

Screenshot-linux - File Browser.png

Screenshot-Untitled Window.png

Reaction score
Did you partition your drive before running BootCamp? I don't understand why you have two partitions for one OS install.

OP
EmperorZurg
Reaction score
Did you partition your drive before running BootCamp? I don't understand why you have two partitions for one OS install.

I did not partition my drive manually, but I did have the option. The option I did choose was "side by side" - This was done a few steps before I clicked "install"
I did not know what to do if I had have clicked "Manually Install".

I don't understand what I have done wrong...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I did not partition my drive manually, but I did have the option. The option I did choose was "side by side" - This was done a few steps before I clicked "install"
I did not know what to do if I had have clicked "Manually Install".

I don't understand what I have done wrong...

This is because Hard drive called "BootCamp" took approx 8GB out of the 10GB leaving only 2GB to the Ubuntu (Named Linux) folder.

When I install things (e.g go into the Add/Remove and get an app), I want it to install onto the Hard Drive called "bootcamp" but at the moment it tries to install it into the Ubuntu (Linux) folder and then comes up with the error message like the one that I have attatched and other error messages saying insufficient space.

Thanks,
John
You just answered your own questions (sort of). You can't tell packages where you want them to install (AFAIK) with apt/dpkg. They have to place files in particular directories and if these particular directories are on a partition with no space (your Ubuntu partition), then you can't install software. For instance, if you wanted the packages to install onto the BC partition, you would need /usr to be your BC partition.

OP
EmperorZurg
Reaction score
You just answered your own questions (sort of). You can't tell packages where you want them to install (AFAIK) with apt/dpkg. They have to place files in particular directories and if these particular directories are on a partition with no space (your Ubuntu partition), then you can't install software. For instance, if you wanted the packages to install onto the BC partition, you would need /usr to be your BC partition.

You seem to know far more than me.
I am not sure I completely understand how you mean but what should I do?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Honestly, to save yourself any trouble and potential for major problems, backup the files you need from your Ubuntu install and reinstall, ensuring that you only have one partition along with your Mac partition. Since you appear to be new to Linux, it would be best for now to simply have one partition for your Linux install.

OP
EmperorZurg
Reaction score
Honestly, to save yourself any trouble and potential for major problems, backup the files you need from your Ubuntu install and reinstall, ensuring that you only have one partition along with your Mac partition. Since you appear to be new to Linux, it would be best for now to simply have one partition for your Linux install.

How many partitions do I have at the moment? And what are they?
I thought I only had a partition for mac osx and 1 for Linux Ubuntu.
Please see the screen shot. It is showing the mac Hard disk/Partition and the Bootcamp which I have renamed "LINUX" Hard disk/Partition

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you not say that you had a BC partition, a partition for your Linux install and one for OS X? What gets printed to the bash window when you execute "mount" (w/o the quotes)? In other words, what happens when you execute mount in a Gnome Terminal?

Reaction score
It might be simpler to increase the bootcamp partition size with CampTune to see if that helps. CampTune for Mac OS X - Overview | PARAGON Software Group - partition software, resize partition, disk backup & partitioning

If making the partition bigger doesn't help, then something else is wrong here.

By looking at the screenshot he may only have the Mac and Ubuntu partitions, but he may have more. You could also boot into OSX and check to see how many partitions you have on your disk. If you have more than 2 partitions, then you should probably back up your data, go into BootCamp and "restore" the hard drive to a single, OSX partition, and then reinstall Ubuntu in BootCamp.

You might also try VirtualBox, Fusion or Parallels as an alternative to BootCamp for Ubuntu - in a virtual machine. You would avoid these issues. I run Ubuntu in a virtual machine and it runs perfectly - the only thing you don't get are the fancy screen effects.

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How many partitions do I have at the moment? And what are they?
I thought I only had a partition for mac osx and 1 for Linux Ubuntu.
Please see the screen shot. It is showing the mac Hard disk/Partition and the Bootcamp which I have renamed "LINUX" Hard disk/Partition

It looks like you have three partitions. Anyway, run the bash command from the Ubuntu terminal just like Van suggested. What does it report back?

When Ubuntu installs it tries to create three partitions: Home, Data, Swap. But in reality you only need one as long as you have given it enough space.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.