Huge Problem. Please Help!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5 GHz Pb G4 2 GB, imac 2.4 GHz 2 GB, iphone 16 GB
ok, so you might have read about my previous problem... well it's nothing compare to what is happening now.
i am currently typing from a pc laptop >_<
BASICALLY, a little basic operation of moving a LARGE amount of files went wrong and instead of getting them from the trash to a folder on the desktop, they ended up landing on the desktop itself...
so it took like half an hour or more for all of them to finally appear.
i started deleted them piece by piece (since there were maybe 4000 or so of them) and everything was going ALRIGHT when i selected more than i should have and pressed: move to trash.
the trash was preparing to move some 1000 files when it pretty much froze.
so i restarted... to find myself in deep shiiiiit. the desktop itmes won't load at all.
the upper taskbar loads, i can connect to internet and launch messengers, but safari is already too much for it too handle. the little umbrella keeps turning and that's all i get. i cannot launch finder, but i can launch photoshop and when trying to open a file i SEE all those desktop items.
the dock loads too.
my god. i have just backed everything up, thank god, but i am seriously not looking forward to reinstalling all my programmes and stuff.

SO IS THERE ANY WAY TO INTERFERE IN THAT DESKTOP LOADING PROCESS?

*cries and shakes*

:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
command+shift+U will open the utilities folder, open activity monitor if you can, look for emptying of the trash or moving of files and quit that process.
also, try booting into safe boot mode by holding shift during startup so it won't try to load that stuff.

OP
red milk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
tried the safe mode, didn't change anything.
it's not the emptying the trash bit that's getting it to freeze anymore.
the trash IS empty.
it's everytime i reboot it tries to load all of those files (they are font files btw) onto the desktop.
and obviously fails.
when i try opening the activity monitor - that fails too.
please tell me i can fix it without reseting the entire system :(
i'm afraid i've ran out of options.
can't believe a silly thing like that has me resetting the entire system!!!! ***

K

Kokopelli

can you create another user with admin rights? You could then login as him and delete the files. Alternatively if you can get remote login active you could login as the user using SSH and delete the files via command line.

Yet another option is booting from CD or FW drive if you have one handy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
omg. ok, you may have to reinstall, I didnt realize they were fonts, if theyre on the desktop, they are still active, which means font book is trying to open/activate them ALL on startup while loading system fonts. if you leave it alone for a while, see if it finishes loading, if it ever does, open font book, and deactivate them all, then delete them, then restarting shouldn't be a problem. you should have the items on your desktop arranged by name, if so, after everything finishes loading if it ever will, just hit command+A to select all, then hold shift and click/deselect what you dont want to delete, then move to trash and empty it.

OP
red milk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i can try that but i doubt it'd change ANYTHING since the loading of files seems to be blocking my every second move.
what do you think about going on a fireweire mode? and trying to delete the files from another computer?

K

Kokopelli

red milk said:
what do you think about going on a fireweire mode? and trying to delete the files from another computer?

That might work if you have a second mac you can mount it on. I would not suggest opening your desktop in finder though. Use Terminal to delete the fonts.

OP
red milk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i believe i'm gonna leave it and go with the computer to the apple centre on monday.
if they can't fix it, i'll reinstall :eek: :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
that problem really stinks, just because you accently dropped the fonts onto the desktop instead of the folder you will have to resinstall everything if you don't get them off the desktop... sorry to hear about that, and I now know to watch where I put my files.

K

Kokopelli

It is why I have two admin and a normal user account. If I screw up something royally with one of my admin accounts I still have the other to log in to so I can try and fix it. In theory I was going to use the non-admin account for day to day stuff but honestly that did not happen. I might try it again when I go to Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, I have an extra admin account just for troubleshooting. anyway, to powerbook g4, this problem isn't because the fonts were dropped onto the desktop, thats obviously slowing loading, but just adding so many fonts and having them all active is causing the problem, and most likiely causing a few font/system problems too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
have you tried just waiting???? or is it locking up?? i would suggest not touching anything other than the power button to turn it on for a very long time and then see what you can do

-chris

OP
red milk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, i got my machine to work again. sorta.
i went on the firewire mode with another computer and deleted the fonts off the desktop.
now the system loads completely, but some applications stopped responding, for example safari.

should i reinstall anyway, or should i first try running some disk repair thingies?

also, i have deleted all fonts off my computer before and added only those i wanted.
i have 127 fonts now, in my font book. can i export them into the suitcase somehow?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd try reinstalling just the unresponsive apps, you can use pacifist to reinstall things that install with the os like safari.
first, you'll need to deactivate all but the system fonts from fontbook, you know which are system fonts cause they can not be deactivated. when you buy suitcase, it comes with an app called font doctor which will arrange your fonts alphabetically in folders, then use suitcase to create sets and add what you want, you an also use suitcase to manage system fonts, you set that up in preferences.

OP
red milk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
see i have a little problem >_<
i might have deleted the system fonts and i think my apple is ****ing with me because of that (partially).
btw, just re-downloaded and re-installed safari but no dice, still not working.
certain applications, like yahoo messenger, are running but quiting on me when say, trying to access preferences.
i just did the repair disk permissions but yeah.
i think it looks like i should reinstall the OS.
any tips on how to do it smoothly? i'd probably choose for a custom install to avoid re-installing it ALL.
aaargh.
lesson learned lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea, I'd say just reinstall the os. you can do an archive and install which will leave all your settings and apps alone and just reinstall the os and os apps, an erase and instal;l will erase everything, so thats up to you, but I think a clean install/erase and install is needed,
after booting from the install disc 1, in the installer step where you choose an install loation, at the bottom of that window, click options to choose your type, ie erase and install or archive and install.

OP
red milk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
aaah i'll go for the archive and install first. thanks man.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.