mac pro temperatures

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro 2.66 quad, Ati x1900, 2 500GB drives, 6 mb ram, dual 24"dell monitors
I am running istat and just noticed my temps.
2.66 quad mac pro.

Both cpu at 86 degrees
hard drive 1 at 113 degrees
hard drive 2 at 110 degrees
3 and 4 are at 95 degrees.

isn't this high?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am running istat and just noticed my temps.
2.66 quad mac pro.

Both cpu at 86 degrees
hard drive 1 at 113 degrees
hard drive 2 at 110 degrees
3 and 4 are at 95 degrees.

isn't this high?

That iStat program must really work the CPU's...because the 4 CPU's on my Mac Pro just surfing the internet are only averaging about 30C. hard drives are also in the low 30's.

I would say...stop using the iStat program for a while...let your computers CPU's cool down...then see what the CPU values are.

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have deleted the istat program widget. I have also moved the mac pro to next to my desk and not under it to see if that helps.

How do I tell the temps without it? I looked in activity monitor but don't see anything there. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Is your computer crashing? Is your computer shutting down or going to sleep automatically?

Is your office (or wherever you have your computer) not air contditioned? If so, is it hotter than the maximum operating temperature in your manual?

No?

Then don't worry about the temperatures.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have deleted the istat program widget. I have also moved the mac pro to next to my desk and not under it to see if that helps.

How do I tell the temps without it? I looked in activity monitor but don't see anything there. Thanks for your help.

Sorry...I got mixed up & thought iStat was a statistics software program.

Here is a temp. monitoring program you could use as well:

Temperature Monitor: Description

Those temps you posted earlier definitely seem high...at least compared to my Mac Pro.

What are you doing on your Mac Pro...and have you taken a look inside to make sure it is not all full of dirt or "fuzz" decreasing cooling efficiency?

How much ram do you have, how many hard drives, how many video cards?

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've got 5g ram and the ati x1900 card. 4 hard drives.
I go inside and blow out on a regular basis. I am aware of the video card getting a lot of dust and clean it out where it needs.
I don't do anything major like final cut. i run aperture once in a while for my photos, but the temps I noticed today were while web surfing.

I put put in temp program.
Right now I am showing 99 degrees on hard drive 1 since I moved it out from under my desk. Cpus are 86 and 84 degrees.
I guess the unit being out in the open is key.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've got 5g ram and the ati x1900 card. 4 hard drives.
I go inside and blow out on a regular basis. I am aware of the video card getting a lot of dust and clean it out where it needs.
I don't do anything major like final cut. i run aperture once in a while for my photos, but the temps I noticed today were while web surfing.

I put put in temp program.
Right now I am showing 99 degrees on hard drive 1 since I moved it out from under my desk. Cpus are 86 and 84 degrees.
I guess the unit being out in the open is key.

Those temps you mention still seem very high compared to my Mac Pro...which I mentioned earlier...my Mac Pro's CPU temps are in the low 30's.

I also have the x-1900 video card, I also have 5 gig of ram (8 slots used)...but I only have 1 hard drive. Those extra 3 hard drives must be making a lot more heat!!!

Are you watching a lot of videos on the internet? That will increase temps a lot.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's the hard drives that are generating all that extra heat. In my PC desktop I have one double stacked carrier with two hard drives. When both are spinning up, even with the fans going strong, the heat builds up fast. With only one hard drive and a bit more room for air, it runs a lot cooler.

To the OP: You probably need to provide some more cooling for the inside of that machine. I'm not familiar with the inside of a Mac Pro, but you might be able to get an extra exhaust fan in there.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was just brought to my attention that the "OP" is probably talking degrees "F"...where I have been talking degrees "C".

So my 30C is the same as 86F...so the "OP" really has nothing to worry about from a temperature perspective.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.