boot camp / partition help.

Reaction score
I have done my googleing before posting this :)

this is the error message I get

Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.

the only answer on google i see is, you need to make sure your hard drive is 1 drive and not partitioned (which mine isnt.)

I have had bootcamp installed before and I guess something went wrong...

Is there a way I can sort this out with out having to wipe my mac clean of all files?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That error message is deceiving. What may have occurred is that you do not have enough contiguous space in order to create a Boot Camp partition. That can happen if there are files or folders scattered on the drive.

There are several ways to correct that. One way is to purchase "iDefrag" and use it to defrag and move the files. However, the program is a bit pricey.

The other way is to make a bootable clone of your hard drive using either SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to an external hard drive. Erase your internal hard drive with Disk Utility, boot from the external drive and clone the copy back to the internal drive. That will clear up any file fragmentation.

SuperDuper is shareware while Cabon Copy Cloner is donation ware. Both pretty much work the same way.

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
That error message is deceiving. What may have occurred is that you do not have enough contiguous space in order to create a Boot Camp partition. That can happen if there are files or folders scattered on the drive.

There are several ways to correct that. One way is to purchase "iDefrag" and use it to defrag and move the files. However, the program is a bit pricey.

The other way is to make a bootable clone of your hard drive using either SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to an external hard drive. Erase your internal hard drive with Disk Utility, boot from the external drive and clone the copy back to the internal drive. That will clear up any file fragmentation.

SuperDuper is shareware while Cabon Copy Cloner is donation ware. Both pretty much work the same way.

Regards.

Thanks, unfortunatlly, Idefrag didnt work, It kind of cleared my hard drive up, but there are still files all over the place. Ill take a look at superduper :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm surprised iDefrag didn't work? Were you by chance using the trial version or did you purchase the full version?

SuperDuper is not fully functional unless you pay for it. You might want to use Carbon Copy Cloner instead as it is fully functional even though it asks for a donation.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
Personally I would just transfer any files that you'd need and wipe your mac. This will remove any and all potential crap on your mac. Then just reload your OS and transfer the files back to it.

In my opinion this is the easiest way to make sure nothing "else" is wrong with your drive.

:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.