Dashboard won't open

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Hi all

I recently upgraded from Tiger to Leopard and then to Snow Leopard.

I've never really used dashboard before but when checking all the apps after upgrading I found that it will no longer open. It's still listed in the apps part of Finder but clicking on it won't launch the app.

Any ideas anyone?

Nick

Reaction score
same here.

Just wondering: have you installed MagicMenu before upgrading to 10.6?

reason I'm asking this is because I did. After I installed MagicMenu weird things started to happen (such as insomniax not loading and apps that use Keychain lost acces to it).
I thought that upgrading would fix the issue, and for a while it seemed it did, but then I started noticing other problems. MagicMenu works with some apps but not all, dashboard won't load and insomniax (v1.3.3 (10.6 compatible)) fails to load most of the time.

Your feedback would only serve to allocate the blame, for I'm sure that the only solution for us is a clean install "windows fashion": backup, format, install leopard and upgrade to snow leopard.

cheers!
Gui

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Sorry but I haven't got any apps like that installed - just the plain system

Also, Quicktime doesn't open:Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I'm not sure about Dashboard, but are you trying to open Quicktime Player 7 from the Dock? If so, you'll have to drag it back into the Dock because in Snow Leopard, QT7 has been moved to the Utilities folder. Maybe something similar is going on with Dashboard. Try removing the icons from the Dock and dragging them in from the Applications folder again.

For a minute I was afraid that they'd completely replaced QT7 with QTX because none of my .mov files would open with it anymore and it didn't appear in my Apps folder.

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the response.

I don't have Quicktime in the utilities folder - it's just in Finder. Same goes for Dashboard

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry to bump this back up - dashboard is fine on my wife's and daughter's user account but not mine. Any suggestions? Anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
Have you tried using Spotlight to search for Dashboard? If not, click the magnifying glass at the top right of your screen (or press Command-Space) and type in Dashboard and press Return. If it successfully opens, open Spotlight again and hold down the Command key and click on Dashboard or press Return to reveal it in Finder. This will show you the location of the functioning application. If it isn’t in your Applications folder, move it there.

If that doesn’t work, try opening Disk Utility with Spotlight (or from your Utilities folder), click Macintosh HD in the list on the left side of the window, and then click on Repair Disk Permissions toward the bottom center of the window. After it finishes, try opening Dashboard again.

If it still doesn’t work, perhaps you could just make a new account.

Reaction score
one of the widgets that you have installed might be conflicting with the 10.6 update.

Go to ~/Library/Widgets in Finder and delete the widgets you installed, and try loading dashboard again.
if you don't want to delete the widgets, move them to another folder.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
move the dashboard preference file to the desktop, log out and back in

Users / your user / Library / Preferences / com.Apple.dashboard.plist

Wouldn't move the dashboard.client.plist unless the one above doesn't do the trick

If it works / doesn't work - you can move them to the trash afterwards or put them back where they came from.
The system will create new ones.

Reaction score
Hi,
I had the same problem on my MacBook(Core Duo) when I upgraded from Tiger to Snow Leopard.

My solution was to remove
/Users/(username)/Library/Caches/com.apple.dashboard.client
and log out, then log in again.
Now the dashboard widgets works fine as before.

Hope this helps you.

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry if I come across as a complete idiot, but to the above posters (bobtomay and okagawa), where do I type in users/username, etc.......

I've tried in finder and spotlight but nothing was found.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Sorry if I come across as a complete idiot, but to the above posters (bobtomay and okagawa), where do I type in users/username, etc.......

I've tried in finder and spotlight but nothing was found.

No typing required:
Open Finder in Column View, then click on your (User) House Icon, then click on your Library Folder, then click on the Preference folder or Caches folder in the library folder as above. :)

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you everyone for your help.

Bobtomay's response did the trick - thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.