Possible to create a "Mac OS X Install disc" from within OS X?

Reaction score
I just bought a 18 month old Macbook Pro it has OS X 10.5.6 installed. It came without any "Mac OS X Install disc" but now I would like to do a fresh install of OS X.

Are there anybody who knows if it is possible to create/extract a "Mac OS X Install disc" from within OS X?

And are there some sort of serial that I need to "extract" from OS X to reinstall OS X from a "Mac OS X Install disc"?

Or do I really have to buy a new license for OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
There is no way to make an install disc in the fashion you've described.

However, you can purchase a retail version of OS X 10.5 from a variety of sources.

eBay, craigslist, Amazon...etc.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Or do I really have to buy a new license for OS X?

Yes you really need to purchase a retail copy of the Mac OS if you want to do a fresh install!

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I just thought it was possible to make an install disc from an installed OS X system, as I know it is with my netbook with Windows XP.

I'll try ebay then

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make absolute sure the copy you purchase is a retail version (black color) not the gray install set which are specific by model.

You might wish instead to purchase Snow Leopard which is the next OS X after Leopard. You can read about Snow Leopard on this forum or the Apple sponsored forums at this link.

Regards.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And the only reason it's possible on that netbook, is because HP, Compaq, Dell, or whomever else it was, were too cheap to include a genuine copy of the OS on disk with the machine - instead they give you the files with instructions on how to make your own disk - which most people never consider doing - until after their hard drive up and dies on them - oops.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.