How do I transfer my iTunes library from my MacBook to my Samsung NC10

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know whether it would be possible for me to transfer my iTunes library from my MacBook to my Samsung NC10 Notebook? I spilt liquid in on my MacBook a couple of months ago and there appears to be an intermittent fault with my MacBook.

My MacBook is almost 3 years old and I am looking to purchase a new MacBook shortly, rather than have this MacBook repaired/serviced I would like to sell it for spares/parts etc and use the funds to go towards buying a new MacBook.

Unfortunately I will have to save for a new MacBook so in the meantime I am having to make do with a Samsung NC10 Notebook, used mainly for the internet/writing emails. It will suffice for the time being.

There is no disk drive on the Samsung NC10 so I cannot backup my iTunes library to disc and then transfer it to the Notebook, I am not even sure if this is possible? I apologise for my ignorance. I am not technically minded in the slightest and I do not have very much experience using computers, I can find my way around my Mac but that's about it?

If anyone can offer any help or advice regarding this query it will be greatly appreciated.

Charlotte

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I assume that you have Tiger, Leopard or SN installed on your MB and Windows XP installed on your NC10. I also assume that both laptops are hooked up to the same local network (i.e. you are connecting to Internet with both laptops from the same network).

• [*]Step 1
    Install iTunes on your NC10 (not a requirement but the process would be easy).

[*]Step 2
    Go to the System Preferences on your MB and select Sharing. From the list on the left, check the "File Sharing" box. Note down the IP address displayed next to "File Sharing: On" line.

[*]Step 3
    Go to your NC10 and open Windows Explorer. Type in the ip address in the address bar as follows.
    \\<ipaddress> (eg. \\192.168.1.3)
    Now, when you hit Enter, it should show you a dialog box where you can enter the User name and the PW to your MB. If all goes perfect, now you are connected to the MB from your NC10.

[*]Step 4
    Open the iTunes on your NC10 and go to Preferences > Advanced
    Make sure that the "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" option is checked. Press OK.

[*]Step 5
    Still in iTunes menu, go to Files > Add to Library
    Now select the network folder you have connected previously from the explorer (It should be listed under Network > ...> ..).

Give it time to copy all the files. ;-)

If you have any trouble, let us know.

OP
Applecharlee
Reaction score
Hi Novicew, thank you kindly for your help and advice. Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I am currently working my way through the steps that you have outlined. I am currently working step 3, I have entered my ip address and it has brought up some search results but no dialogue box for me to populate with my MB User name and Password. (Apologies in advance if I have foolishly missed something and I'm being a proper job class A numpty!) Thank you.

Kindest Regards

Charlotte

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Ok, if it doesn't work try the following.
On XP, double click the "My Network Places" icon.
Go to Entire Network>Microsoft Windows Network>Workgroup

If you did the previous steps correctly, here you should see your MB. Let me know if you have any trouble.

OP
Applecharlee
Reaction score
Hi, thank you so much for replying. Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to try your suggestion as I've been in Hosp having an op.

I will boot the NC10 up later and systematically work through your instructions. I'll let you know how I get on. One point. I usually use Firefox as a browser on my NC10 but of course I do have XP also (I'm sorry if I'm not making much sense?) Seriously I am not computer savvy in any way, shape or form. I really appreciate your help advice, thanks for your time.

Kind Regards

Charlotte

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.