Problems with new Virgin 50Mb broadband wireless connection.

Reaction score
I just got the Virgin 50Mb broadband service installed and it's not working properly. If I connect straight to the modem (via ethernet) I get between 20-35Mb max and if I connect wirelessly I get less than 1Mb! I have the netgear WNR2000 supplied by Virgin. I had 20Mb before this and it worked perfectly, never had a problem with it. My brother is using a PC and gets a constant 54Mb connection from 2 floors away!
Are there some settings I need to change?
p.s. I have enabled the 'n' capability already and just another interesting point - if I have the ethernet connected and leave airport on I get between 45-49Mb!?!?
Thanks in advance for your help

My mac is a MacBook (Black) 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo Mac OS X (10.4.11)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like some kind of interference between you and the router. Any microwave ovens, cordless phones, baby monitors or other RF-emitting devices between you and the router physically?

OP
L
Reaction score
The router is literally a foot away, if even that...that's why i'm so confused. There's no other electrical equipment around apart from a tv...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.