Playing Games not designed for your laptop.

Reaction score
Hey, I own a ibook g4; (PowerPc).
I am interested in playing some intel only games.
I am wondering if this is possible.

The iphone SDK is intel only but i used a program called 'pacificst' to install the SDK, and it runs correctly.

I am wondering if i can do this for a game.
I don't really want to purchase the game, only to find out i cannot play it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
You are probably out of luck here. Even if there was a way to emulate an Intel CPU and get the game running it would probably be unplayable anyway.

What game are you thinking about? Can you give us any specifics?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Notebooks were not meant to be used as gaming machines in the first place. Just please stop torturing your poor machine and get a gaming rig.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
Notebooks were not meant to be used as gaming machines in the first place. Just please stop torturing your poor machine and get a gaming rig.

Not to be rude or anything but I have to disagree somewhat with your statement. You say that notebooks were not meant to be used as gaming machines. In one sense you are right, but also not.

I would agree completely with you if the main intent was to only play games. If that is the case go buy a gaming rig as you suggested.

Today when the chips are getting smaller, requiring less power it is only natural they can fit quite an amount of processing power in a notebook. Apple might be slow on updating their hardware but other laptops can provide an acceptable gaming experience.

It might not replace the dedicated gaming rig, I am aware of that. But we are moving closer each year.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Not to be rude or anything but I have to disagree somewhat with your statement. You say that notebooks were not meant to be used as gaming machines. In one sense you are right, but also not.

I would agree completely with you if the main intent was to only play games. If that is the case go buy a gaming rig as you suggested...

You have the right to disagree, and I don't take it as being rude if your opinion differs from mine.

Gaming Notebooks exist and for the most part they are overpriced and still underperform compared to a dedicated gaming rig.

CoughAlienWareCough...>_>"

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think that it definitely depends on what sort of games you want to play.

Traditionally laptops were always very underpowered when it came to running games...but laptops sold within the last few years are much more capable machines.

But the bottom line is, there are many, many games titles that will run just fine on a laptop. In fact...the list of games that will run just fine on a 2-3 year old Macintosh laptop (or newer) is much much longer than the list of titles that won't run.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD, 2.53GHz, OSX 10.6.1
Games like Counter-Strike: Source, World of Warcraft(running natively under OSX) and Team Fortress 2 run fine on a MacBook Pro. Running under Windows and Crossover except for WoW.

OP
J
Reaction score
You are probably out of luck here. Even if there was a way to emulate an Intel CPU and get the game running it would probably be unplayable anyway.

What game are you thinking about? Can you give us any specifics?

Thanks for the replies guys!
The game is GTA san andreas btw.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.