iBook G4 reinstalling Mac OS X problem

Reaction score
I just reformatted/erased my iBook G4 without realizing that I didn't have the original startup disk that came when I bought the computer (a while back). But, I just bought an iMac last year and a MacBook Pro this year and have startup disks for both of these computers. I tried using them on my iBook G4 when trying to reinstall the operating system and I keep getting the error message "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer." Any help you have would be great. I'm trying to sell my old computer and it'd be great to get this to work again!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There are two reasons for your issue.

First your iBook is a Power PC Mac and the iMac and MBP Intel. Totally different architecture and the install DVD from the Intel Macs will not work on a Power PC Mac. The second issue is the Install DVD's that come with a Mac are made for a model with those exact specs and will not install on another Mac.

You need either a DVD from Apple for your iBook or a Black Retail DVD of whatever OS was on the iBook.

OP
J
Reaction score
I just realized that my new computers have Intel and the old one doesn't. Any ideas where to get that DVD?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just realized that my new computers have Intel and the old one doesn't. Any ideas where to get that DVD?

If you want the actual DVD/CD (Depending on model) that came with your iBook, I would contact Apple as that way you will be sure to get the right disc for your iBook. If that does not work get a Retail install of the OS that came with your iBook from maybe ebay. Do you remember the version of OSX that is on the iBook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more
you should be able to get on FeeBay... (I mean Ebay) and get a Retail Black DVD or Set of CD's for relatively cheap. But do make sure they are Black and that they are for the G4 PPC series.

Also if your iBook has less than 512MB memory and 800Mhz or slower PPC you can not directly load Leopard on to the system. (hint: FireWire with your iBook in Target mode attached to another more hefty G4 system ie.. PowerBook or ???)

hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.