Exteranl hard disk question

Reaction score
I bought a Buffalo 1Gig external USB drive before I had visions of a MAC. It came with software embedded for either PC or OS connectivity but I chose PC.

I tried to connect it to my MBP tonight and it reads it fine but when I tried to write to it I discovered it is read-only. I couldn't figure out how to change it, and now I'm wondering if it's even possible.

Am I out of luck? I bought the drive to store my digital photos and my MBP to processes them If I can't copy them over I'll be stuck.

Ideas?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How is the drive formatted? If it's FAT32 it will both read and write on both the Windows machine and OSX. If it's NTFS it's read only on OSX and even Linux unless you get a driver like Paragon which allows both read and write to the proprietary Windows NTFS filesystem.

OP
R
Reaction score
It came with FAT32... but apparently I reformatted it to NTFS.

Is there an easy fix or am I screwed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
to use ntfs on your mac, you can try MacFUSE and NTFS-3G (macfuse is needed to run ntfs-3g)... try a google or search on this forum ... although I'm not so sure about compatibility with Snow Leopard, that I still have to try out

or you can reformat the usb drive to fat, or use the mac filesystem if you don't need to use the drive on windows machines

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.