constantly losing ip address

M

MrBill25

I am constantly losing my ip address whenever I use any p2p software. Cabos, aquisition, etc. it won't let me renew my ip address either in the system preference pane whenever this happens. I always have to reboot my modem. Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Well, if you are using Airport Extreme, the p2p program might taxing out you Airport Extreme card. I don't know much about the issue, because on the BitTorrent website, a user warns that he can't upload the file for too long or his Airport Extreme card will crap out on him.

But you said that you reset your modem to fix the problem, so that might not be the issue.

OP
K

Kokopelli

From the sound of it your cable modem is losing the IP, not your computer. Is that right? If so, I would guess it is your provider dumping the address on purpose for p2p activity or some othe reason. Contact your provider and see what they have to say. If it is your laptop that is losing the address we have a few other things we can check.

OP
M

MrBill25

Well the modem stays online though. The ip defaults to the network card's ip. I am not using the airport extreme. I figured that maybe my isp might be dropping me for p2p activity. I'll have to find out. I actually work for the cable company and troubleshoot modem problems everyday. The isp is a seperate division though. I'm not sure if they drop ip's for p2p activity or not. I ask them. I just wanted to know if it could be a problem on my end.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.