Choppy Expose / Spaces in Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Expose and Spaces have always been choppy in Leopard on my 2 ghz, 4 gig ram, x3100 white Macbook, but they have become even more so since upgrading to Snow Leopard. I did an upgrade instead of reformat / reinstall.

Has anyone had trouble with their x3100 integrated graphics in either Leopard or Snow Leopard? I've read that Apple never developed sufficient drivers for the GPU, and I have to agree based on my two years of experience. I was really hoping SL would have fixed this.

Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
NOTE: Moved to more appropriate forum.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Expose and Spaces have run fine on the X3100 powered machines I've seen running Leopard.

I would suggest checking the system logs in Console (Applications => Utilities) and see if anything jumps out. A lot of third party software has issues with Snow Leopard and I found really poor performance on my MBP shortly after the upgrade. Despite doing a clean install, a beta of a program called Paragon Snapshot was ported over by Migration Assistant and the support daemon was chewing up resources behind the scenes, causing all kinds of spinning beachballs and other issues with non-responsiveness. I'd have never known it except that I found the daemon stopping and restarting constantly in the logs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
I've used an X3100 machine with only 2 gigs of ram and both spaces and expose seemed to work fine ... does this problem occur all the time? If you were running many apps with lots of windows then it would definitely affect peformance, especially with some sort of system virtualization ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.