takes forever to load

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5 GHz Pb G4 2 GB, imac 2.4 GHz 2 GB, iphone 16 GB
i woke up this morning and turned on my powerbook.
everything was normal up until the moment it loads the desktop and then it got stuck for a few good minutes until it FINALLY loaded all the desktop icons/folders.
this is the first time it has happened, i restarted and it happened again.
the only thing i did yesterday was installing a whole bunch of fonts so i know it's nothing i did!
now i'm in the process of backing everything up and i'm headed to the apple centre on monday. and i'll just keep my powerbook on sleep till then, no turning off!!
has this happened to anyone here? i'm so worried...:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
this is not happened to me yet, but did you update any time earlier?

OP
red milk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5 GHz Pb G4 2 GB, imac 2.4 GHz 2 GB, iphone 16 GB
no. but i just spoke to a friend and we might have found the reason.
the thing is, i am using font book to manage my fonts and it's a pretty much a piece of rubbish. so i'm trying to download a suitcase and make groups of fonts and such, because i do have over 1000 active fonts atm and it looks like that's the reason my loading time went nuts lol. oi...

K

Kokopelli

Yes loading a bunch of fonts into Font Book is a known problem. It is almost definitely the source of your grief.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
red milk said:
no. but i just spoke to a friend and we might have found the reason.
the thing is, i am using font book to manage my fonts and it's a pretty much a piece of rubbish. so i'm trying to download a suitcase and make groups of fonts and such, because i do have over 1000 active fonts atm and it looks like that's the reason my loading time went nuts lol. oi...
as I have stated many times, I love apple, but fontbook sucks. if you are using more than the default fonts or so, you need more than FB, suitcase is the best. try doing a search for font management or something. I have over 20,000 fonts on my mac right now. let me explain it this way. lets say you were gonna bake a cake, and every time you wanted to bake a cake, you had to crack 20,000 eggs, even if you're probably only gonna use 10 tops, its the same with fonts, your mac has to load EVERY font every time it starts up when you use font book. with suitcase, I have only like 10 fonts active at startup. my 450 mhz g4 cube takes about 40 seconds to start up fully.

I

iDVFH.

I found when I upgraded to 10.3.8 my start up time slowed down a bit..when I used to log on my dock, etc would immediately show up..now it takes about 4 or 5 seconds..

D

dlisle20

the exact same thing is happening to mine and its new! Although not only does mine do that it takes forever to turn on to the log in menu. ???

M

meltbanana314

Subzero3886 said:
WHat is 10.3.8 and 10.3.6? Which one is Panther?

Both are.

10.3 is Panther

10.3.1 all the way to 10.3.8 (and soon to be 10.3.9) are updates by the Apple developers to the Panther version of OS X, but are still considered a part of Panther.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.