Very slow startup w/ Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
I have no idea why, but every time I reboot my system there is a progress bar (which I've never seen before until Snow Leopard) on the grey Apple startup screen. Seems like it takes several minutes to reboot. It never did this with Leopard.

I have a 2007 Santa Rosa MPB, 2.4ghz and 4 gigs of ram. Anyone know what the cause of this is? I don't have any odd applications set to load on startup that should be causing this.

EDIT: I spose I'll give you some more details. I did this as a fresh install on a new hard drive. S.M.A.R.T. status checks out ok, however when verifying permissions I get a message that says Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

I read on an Apple doc that it's nothing to worry about, but I'm wondering if this isn't related to the extremely slow startup times.

Reaction score
i have had the same problem - but i get a blank blue screen for ages. I also get the same message after running the permissions check

this is on a MBPro 2.4Ghz

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It would have been nice if you provided the OP with a link to your post.

To the OP:

Are you sure your system is not starting in SAFE mode? I've never seen the progress bar except for when I started in SAFE mode. I know my question sounds silly because you would have to press the "shift" key to start in SAFE mode, but I've seen stranger things happen.

Anyway, take the advice of the previous post and try a clean reinstall again.

But this time when you boot with the SL DVD, stop the install and instead use Disk Utilities from the Utilities top menu to verify and repair the drive if necessary. If everything checks out OK, proceed with the install.

Regards.

Reaction score
I have had the same problem with two of four machines. Rebuilt both of them. Both new machines. Also followed other threads on other boards about HP drivers, etc. NOTHING seems to make it go away. The only thing I can find in common is that after the rebuild everything works well until I connect\bind to Active directory. The cached account is slow when not directly connected to the network. Has to be a timeout of some type. Is the machine you are talking about bound to active directory?

Reaction score
I have also been plagued with the same slowness (60-90 seconds). I tried ONYX, moving items from Documents to another places, removed icons from desktop, Command V, checked console, etc... I found that after celaring caches using ONYX, that the OS could not re-create them. In console (all messages), I was getting: Can't create kext cache under / - owner not root.. Welp, to fix it just drop to the terminal and type: "sudo chown root:admin /" (without quotes) and BAM! System boot up in 6 seconds. Let me know if this works for you.

Scott

Reaction score
macbook pro boot problem

im using macbook pro for 4 months ... i really disappointed from mac , it also have strange problems and its not like windows !!

when i reboot my macbook pro it show a progress bar and i have to wait 3 to 4 mints
how to solve this

REgards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Its not like Windows?

Well blow me down sailor!!

For your slow startup check what is installed under Login Items. Some applications like to install under startup. Also are you by chance running antivirus software which is not necessary as there are no Mac OS X viruses?

Reaction score
Apple has some suggestions:
Mac OS X 10.6 Help: If your computer stops or delays while starting up

Other things to try:

- Reinstall the OS X 10.6 Combined Updater right over what is installed currently. You can find the Combined Updater here:
Mac OS X v10.6.6 Update Combo

- Shut down your Mac. Detach all third party peripherals, including hard drives, USB hubs, and non-apple mice and keyboards (re-attach the Apple originals). Restart and see if things are better. If they are, re-attach peripherals one at a time between restarts until you find the problematic one.

- Check to see how full your hard drive is. If it is approximately 80% full, it is extremely likely your drive is too full for your Mac to function properly. It's time to get a new external hard drive and offload a bunch of data from your internal drive.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I've had slow start up times with my MacBook on two occasions. Once was after installing Snow Leopard, and the other was just recently after installing a new HDD. My normal start up time to a usable desktop is about 45 seconds. On the above occasions it increased to 1min to 1min 30secs. A rest of the PRAM solved the problem.

Restart your MacBook while holding down the Cmd/Option(Alt)/P/R keys. Wait until you hear the chime for the second time and then release the keys.

Reaction score
I have also been plagued with the same slowness (60-90 seconds). I tried ONYX, moving items from Documents to another places, removed icons from desktop, Command V, checked console, etc... I found that after celaring caches using ONYX, that the OS could not re-create them. In console (all messages), I was getting: Can't create kext cache under / - owner not root.. Welp, to fix it just drop to the terminal and type: "sudo chown root:admin /" (without quotes) and BAM! System boot up in 6 seconds. Let me know if this works for you.

Scott

Scott,
I have being converted from Windows about 6 mths ago. And have loved using it every single day. Admit being a download junky - download and test many kinds of apps/softwares to try on my new Macbook Pro. And maybe cos I have installed too many software in it (after testing and deleting), the bootup was slow to a crawl (up to 2 minutes with the apple logo), after signing into my account, takes another 1 minute to load. (No login items)
Tried using Oynx, reset PRAM, nothing works....

Nearly resorted to reinstall my OS. until now!

Long story short - Thanks a million Scott, for saving me a long of time, cos your method works! Now it's booting up smoothly (still not 6 seconds, but a heck lot faster).
Thanks for saving the day!

Malcolm

Reaction score
Slow Start-up

Scott,

I have been having similar trouble (very recently) with super-slow startups. I saw your advice: drop to the terminal and type: "sudo chown root:admin /"

But I have no idea what "drop to the terminal and type" means. Could you please explain?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Re-install

This might sound dumb, but since I haven't done that before, does it mean simply to start up the machine with Snow Leopard in the disc drive?

Reaction score
Scott,

I have been having similar trouble (very recently) with super-slow startups. I saw your advice: drop to the terminal and type: "sudo chown root:admin /"

But I have no idea what "drop to the terminal and type" means. Could you please explain?

Thanks.

"drop to the terminal ans type" is pretty much computer slang for go to the terminal and type

Reaction score

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.