How long do you think..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Core2 Duo 4Gb Ram / Powermac G5 2 TB RAID , 16GB Ram Running Leopard
I will be able to realistically run Leopard since Apple has ended OS support for my beloved Powermac G5 dual 2.0. This machine was a major investment and I have performed major upgrades to it. It is still so fast that it is beyond comprehension for me. I still do all my work on it and then when I am away from home I use my Intel Core Duo Macbook Pro. I want to hang onto it as long as I can before I am forced to sell a kidney and and get a Macpro. I guess I still feel like Apple tossed us G5 users under the bus when it came to Snow Leopard. I love leopard it is a good OS but I know at some point the party is over for it. I am just trying to figure out how much m ore time my beloved G5 has left on earth.

Thanks for any input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'm in the same boat as you. Conceivably you can run Leopard until the machine itself dies as long as there is software that meets your needs. The problem is, Snow Leopard was a signal to software developers that the old code/architecture is now "officially" dead, so stop using it. Many software vendors will continue to write PPC code for a while but eventually the well will simply dry up. Your best bet may be to just upgrade sooner rather than later and get the pain over with.

I plan on buying a Quad Intel MacPro by years end.

OP
Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Core2 Duo 4Gb Ram / Powermac G5 2 TB RAID , 16GB Ram Running Leopard
I'm in the same boat as you. Conceivably you can run Leopard until the machine itself dies as long as there is software that meets your needs. The problem is, Snow Leopard was a signal to software developers that the old code/architecture is now "officially" dead, so stop using it. Many software vendors will continue to write PPC code for a while but eventually the well will simply dry up. Your best bet may be to just upgrade sooner rather than later and get the pain over with.

I plan on buying a Quad Intel MacPro by years end.

Thanks for the input, I know your right and I will most likely do that very thing, I guess I have a somewhat emotional attachment to this machine as well, it was my first real precision desktop. I have created so much stuff with this machine it kills me. I am more than happy with Leopard also it runs really fast. I guess probably next year I will bite the bullet and look at a Macpro. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Hey baggss... wanna buy me a quad core mac pro too? :p hehe

And sharpshooter, I know how you feel... when my dual 2GHz PM G5 decided that the poor ventilation and several years of built up pot and cigarette smoke had done it in, I was heart broken. I had recorded 4 albums of rock and roll onto that baby... so sad. :( Don't get me wrong, I love my macbook and all... but I miss my huge 50 pound tower of power with its optical surround sound and 23 inch display... It's still sitting around in my dad's basement. Maybe one day I'll find a cheap logic board replacement for it and do the surgery myself...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.