Problems Windows Xp and bootcamp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5GHz MacBook Pro
Hey everyone,
I recently tried to install windows xp on my macbook pro. I used bootcamp to create a 32GB NTFS partition for it. When I tried to install windows the partition manager in the installation process showed me only one partition, 131GB in size (while on my Mac OS X I had about 115GB free). I tried to format it, but when the computer restarted, the format and installation process started all over again...
I tried to put my Mac OS X installation cd but it only recognizes the windows 131 partition...
I'm pretty sure that my windows installation cd has sp2 (I already installed windows once, but I wanted to create a larger partition).
Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Can you still boot into OS X?

Sounds to me like you formatted your OS X partition and will need to start from scratch and reinstall OS X.
If you created a 32GB partition to install windows, why did you choose the 131GB partition to start the install?
That was your first indication of something not right.

You're "pretty sure" the disk has SP2? A genuine MS disk should be labled right on the face of the disk.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey everyone,
I recently tried to install windows xp on my macbook pro. I used bootcamp to create a 32GB NTFS partition for it. When I tried to install windows the partition manager in the installation process showed me only one partition, 131GB in size (while on my Mac OS X I had about 115GB free). I tried to format it, but when the computer restarted, the format and installation process started all over again...
I tried to put my Mac OS X installation cd but it only recognizes the windows 131 partition...
I'm pretty sure that my windows installation cd has sp2 (I already installed windows once, but I wanted to create a larger partition).
Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
Give each of these a read...

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/wi...4239-running-windows-mac-switchers-guide.html

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/wi...otcamp-save-yourself-possibly-hours-time.html

- Nick

OP
geves
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5GHz MacBook Pro
I formatted the 131GB partition by mistake, because I thought it was actually a 31GB partition.

About the winXP: I legally downloaded it from msdn academic alliance software center and burned it onto a cd. I checked my file once again and apparently it is sp1 and not sp2.
I tried to reinstall mac OS X but it doesn't recognize any hard drive, although when it asks about where to reboot to, the 131GB partition suddenly appears with bootcamp logo.
I'll try to use a WinXP with sp2 cd in the format process, and see if it works.
Do you have any other solution for it?
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're going to need to start over by reinstalling OS X first. As for your download of XP from the academic MSDN alliance software center, sometimes these copies (although perfectly legal) do not work. They appear as a VL copy because of the product code used. You're also going to need to slipstream SP2 to it. Slipstream software is needed. I recommend "Autostreamer" which is free and easy to use.

You will need to do the slipstreaming on a Windows machine as Autostreamer is a Windows program.

Regards.

Reaction score
I have kinda the same problem. I also only see a 131 GB partition and i made a 32 GB partition for windows xp using bootcamp. My bootcamp partition is FAT-32 how can i install windows xp on this partition. Luckely i read the manual and it said not to install it on the 131 GB partition so i did not.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can not see a partition named "Boot Camp" when you run the Windows XP installer? If not, if may not have been created.

Try creating it again. Go back to OS X, use the Boot Camp assistant again. Select "create partition", then select "restore". That will get everything back to OS X. Reboot. Run Boot Camp assistant once more but this time try creating the partition slightly smaller than 32 GB, say around 30 GB.

Let us know.

Regards.

Reaction score
I found the problem. I tried to use Windows XP version 2002 SP 1 and i need SP 2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.