Finder marking

Reaction score
This could be a post in Graphics , but really it's about working in a Finder window because I use a folder for images rather than iPhoto . All I want to do is look at an open folder of images , scroll through them and add a little red dot next to the ones I like. That's it , a removable mark that could accompany any kind of file in the Finder window. Is there a piece of software out there that will do this? It sounds simple enough but I can't find anything.

OP
R
Reaction score
Adding to that , a one-click or keystroke way of changing the label colour would serve the purpose .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Probably but what OS jaguar, panther, tiger, leopard or snow leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
In Tiger not so sure as it is a while since i have been in that OS but you should be able to click on a photo and File/Get info and assign a colour code to that file as part of your ranking choices and then set up a smart folders to collect files with a single colour code. If u cannot get it sorted that way Leopard would give more choice for doing what you outline.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This could be a post in Graphics , but really it's about working in a Finder window because I use a folder for images rather than iPhoto . All I want to do is look at an open folder of images , scroll through them and add a little red dot next to the ones I like. That's it , a removable mark that could accompany any kind of file in the Finder window. Is there a piece of software out there that will do this? It sounds simple enough but I can't find anything.

I have not heard of any sort of software that does this...why not just move the photos that you like to a separate 2nd folder?

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Why?

Because I want to be able to fairly quickly scan through a selection of images , pick out the "probables" ( and maybe "possibles" too with a different coloured marker) , and then go back again later and repeat the process and have the option of refining my choices , maybe include ones I left out first time , or re-select with slightly different criteria. If the probables and possibles are in seperate folders I can't do that , I have to have the original big folder open and remember which ones I've picked. I don't want to go > File and colour choice , I just want a one-click sort of highlighter that stays there after I close the folder.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This might work for what you want. Click on a picture and Right Click and click on Get Info. Then look for for Label. You will see a bunch of colored dots you can click on. Select the color you want. It will look like this. Will this work?

You can make them all the same color for the pics you like. I just did it in different colors to show you the options.

Hope that will help.

new.jpg

Picture 2.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
your best bet is to actually have seperate folders ... sry to say ... and yes you can go back in folders, just open the older folder and look through the images of any of them suit your selection criteria and drag it into your final folder ... nothin hard to it, for me it would even be the easy way to go, since you woulnt have to look through your selected photos again and just look at whats left behind ... anyway ..

you said you want aditional software to do this, yet you dont use iPhoto, how would another program solve your problem? Im not sure how much iphoto can do, but i think it does support different grouping criteria ... or you can use Adobe bridge, but again the task of selecting is up to you and you will be going back and forth between groups

also the simplest "removable tag" is a letter, just put an "x" at the beggining of the picture you dont want to use :D :D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Use Aperture instead of iPhoto here, but pretty sure it has the same system which allows you to mark every picture by a star rating of 1-5 and then allows you to view either all pics or view only those with a specified rating.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks , that's a help , but I'm not sure how to right-click on an iBook touchpad. I was hoping to avoid mouse-work if possible which is why I thought about doing it with a keystroke . But definitely a step nearer , thanks again .

OP
R
Reaction score
Re iPhoto , I have just not got on with it somehow , and just went through a Library-moving trauma that left it seized up. I'll happily go on using it when I resuscitate it but also want to use my own folders for images. The request for other software was just for a highlighting tool to work within Finder , or a way of marking the pictures that stands out when looking over lots of images , as a coloured label would if I could find a way of automating that action into 1 click/keystroke mode.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thanks , that's a help , but I'm not sure how to right-click on an iBook touchpad. I was hoping to avoid mouse-work if possible which is why I thought about doing it with a keystroke . But definitely a step nearer , thanks again .

Control Click will do a Right Click.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
or there is a shortcut to get the get info panel with colors: cmd+i ... and I'm hoping it is a default shortcut :D

anyway you can acces the colors straight from the right click/control click menu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8GHz 2GB RAM 500GB internal HDD + 1 TB Formac XTR External HDD - iPhone 3G 16 GB Black
Not sure if this work is Tiger or not, but try selecting all the files you want to mark as the same color and then CMD+Alt+i will give you the get info for all the selected files, you can set a color code for all the files the same way the screen shot @dtravis7 has uploaded

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
or there is a shortcut to get the get info panel with colors: cmd+i ... and I'm hoping it is a default shortcut :D

anyway you can acces the colors straight from the right click/control click menu

Good tip. I was so tired when I posted that I guess I missed it in the Right Click menu. I hope Tiger has that option. Been a while since I checked in Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Tiger does have that option indeed.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tiger does have that option indeed.

Thanks for confirming that. I only have one older Mac with Tiger and I really did not feel like setting it up just to check! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.