Full hard disk - mac wont boot

Reaction score
Hi all

I am relatively new on this forum and new to Mac. I have macbook pro with 2.4 Intel Chip. I ran out of hard disk space when copying a file into mac. Suddenly the system froze on me and then like an idiot I pressed the power button (which I shouldnt't have). Now the system does not boot up. It displays the apple logo then I get grey screen and then blue screen. Then the system cycles between the blue and grey screen. I need to free up some hard disk space but the problem is that is that it does not boot up. I have the grey disks that came with the macpro. Here is what I have done:
1. Removed the power and tried to reboot after 10 minutes. resets the chip. No joy.
2. Tried the safe mode. I do get the login screen but for some reason the system does not accept my password.

What else can I try? I really want my data back

Thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
So what are u using to write this - if it another mac then connect them with a firewire cable power on the MBP and hold T key to start it in Target mode which will then show the HD on other mac desktop, then free up some space - aim for 15% free.

OP
Q
Reaction score
Mac does not boot up

Thanks. Since I dont have another Mac I may have to take it to Service centre.

One more related question- is it normal for the computer to not boot up if I run out of disk space?

Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
u should be able to boot off install disk- push disk in and hold C key after powering on - but whether you could progress to archive and install with a full hard disk i have no idea. You can access disk utility from the install app but not sure if that will allow u to move files already on the HD.

OP
Q
Reaction score
Further to suggestions from Forum members here is what I did:
1. Got hold of another mac and opened my machine in Target mode. Thus I was able to clear about 12G of data. I also made a back up of all my data.
2. Seperately I tried to put the install disks (i didnt have leaopard) and ran disk utility, ran repair, fixed problems and ran verify permissions and fixed them.
3. Seperately I opened mac in the safe mode. I get the login screen, the mac accepts the password but comes back to the same screen.

When I boot normally I first get apple logo, then apple sound and then the system cycles between blue and gray screen.

Any way it can be revived or do I have to do a fresh installation?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What OS was on the MBP when u first ran into problems with the full disk and what OS was on the disk that u used to repair permissions - were they the same OS?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.