Time Machine Question (MyBook Problems)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MBP: 2.26 C2D, 4GB, 160GB
Hello,

I have a MyBook for Mac that I bought from BestBuy today. ($65 for a TB, thank you slickdeals :) )

*I use Paragon NTFS, so my Mac can read/write NTFS fine...*

I would like to use about 500GB for Time Machine, then the rest of it for Storage. It came preformatted in HFS+. However, I would like my Storage portion to be NTFS.

I tried doing this by resizing the HFS+ partition to 500GB, then adding a second 500GB of Windows NT Filesystem. This failed. It would say it was partitioning, then nothing would happen. So I booted into Windows 7 (on the same MBP) and formatted the whole drive into 3 NTFS partitions (1 500GB Time Machine and 2 250GB Storage partitions).

This worked nicely (and is still working) but I would like to have my Time Machine be an HFS+ partition. Now, it won't let me change the partitions at all in Disk Utility. I can't even select the plus and minus signs to add or remove partitions.

So...

Is it necessary and/or beneficial to have my Time Machine drive be HFS+?

How do I do it?

*No data is on the drive yet, so I can completely start over with formatting or partitioning if necessary...*

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MBP: 2.26 C2D, 4GB, 160GB
NVM....I figured it out.

I didn't realize you had to switch from "Current Scheme" on the drop down selection in Disk Utility. Then, for whatever reason, the partitioning worked this time...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.