Can I swap HDDs of two different macbooks?

Reaction score
quick question. I have two mac books, one Core 2 duo, and the other core duo. If I swap the hard drives, would it work normally? Or do I have to erase the HDDs and re-install the OS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more
I am not sure if I was just lucky or not but ..

I upgraded my MacBook Pro from 320GB hard drive to a 500GB

did not do anything with the 320GB for a couple of months then picked up a white MacBook for my daughter cheap and replaced the 120 that came in it with the 320GB from my MacBook and it booted right up and has been running well for about a month or so.

The one issue I did run in to though was I took the 120GB from the white and tried it in a Black MacBook newer than the white one and it booted up but would not sleep properly .. would say hold the power button to turn off after closing the clamshell. So like others have said .. the laptops are all different and you should not swap drives from one to another .. not only that .. I'm sure it violates the software agreement with Apple to so it is best if you re-install the os.

hope this helps

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.