slow printing on a network

Reaction score
Canon PIXMA MP500 connected to an Airport Extreme. Four computers on the network; two print fast, two very slowly. Some data:

Mac mini 10.4.11 using Canon driver 16 sec to print sample text page

12" iBook 10.4.11 using Canon driver 19 sec to print test page

iMac 10.5.8 will not print at all using latest Canon driver; 62 sec to print same test page using gutenprint 5.1.3

15" iBook 10.5.8 will not print at all using latest Canon driver; 49 sec to print same test page using gutenprint 5.1.3

Apple support says this is clearly a driver issue. Canon says they don't offer any support for this network configuration.

Any ideas out there?? Thanks!!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It clearly is a driver issue. Gutenprint has never been about speed. Their goal was just to get printers working where the manufacturers weren't providing drivers at all.

A new printer - seriously - it's a shame, but pretty much every printer manufacturer quits supporting one printer as soon as the next model hits the shelf. And can't say I blame them with the typical consumer printer being under $100 nowadays. But then, they were doing it when the average consumer printer was $300 also.

If their own drivers don't work on a new OS, you're pretty much stuck with whatever you can find to get them to work.

You can check the following faq:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ai...technology/68780-networking-printers-faq.html

If speed is a concern - you may want to go ahead and check the PrintFab drivers in the last item there - not free, but could be worthwhile in a business setting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.