HELP! Macbook Pro Wifi Issues

Reaction score
Hello!

The last 2 days i have had some extremely frustrating issues using the internet on my MacBook Pro. It is almost 2 years old and i have never had an issue before.

The airport shows full signal and i can often access websites ( hence this thread ) but at extremely slow speeds and with many ' You are not connected to the Internet ' error messages within safari along the way. I have tried plugging the ethernet cable directly into my MacBook and the connection works as fast and reliable as it used to be. My girlfriend is having no issues with her laptops wifi connection.

I have googled this issue but can't find anything. There are lots of reports of problems with the MacBook Pro wifi, but nothing like this.

Here's some info which may help :-

System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.7 (9J61)
Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x8C)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Has anything (hardware or software) been updated or changed on your system in the last several days since this has begun to occur?

Since the internet is working OK via ethernet cable, we'll assume your connection is OK. It's possible the airport card in your MBP may be intermittent or getting ready to fail. Try running the Apple Hardware Test on your machine to see if it detects any problems. I don't know if will pick up on an intermittent airport card but it's worth a try.

Also check System Preferences, Network, airport settings to make sure nothing has been changed.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Rather than just using Apple/Location set to Automatic for everything, you might find that for places that you frequent often such as Home and Work for example you set up a specific Location complete with DNS for ISP for that service, and select it, and just reserve Automatic for when u are on the road on random WiFis. See if that helps.
Here is mine;

Click for full size

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.