Non-IDE C++ Compiler (so no Xcode)

Reaction score
Hello,

I am following a course on C++ at my university. The instructor clearly instructed us not to use an IDE, because an IDE tries to keep our hands clean, while he wants to see dirt under our fingernails.

So this rules out Xcode. I've tried googling for another C++ compiler for mac, but all I find are people advising Xcode. What are my options in terms compilers and programmers notepads?

Preferably something using the gnu g++ 4.3.something compiler.

Thanks for your advise.

m0dd3st

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
May be you could try Eclipse with cdt plugin.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
When you install Xcode, all the command line applications you need are installed, including GCC. So, install Xcode and all the tools and just don't use Xcode. Let us know if that works for you.

OP
M
Reaction score
That works for me, thanks for your help. I can just call on the compiler using terminal, didn't know it was that easy ;).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.