Powermac G5 Or Mac Mini

Reaction score
Im debating whether to buy a powermac g5 with dual core 2ghz processer and 8gb ram and 500gb hd or to get the basic mac mini.
I will be plugging it into a full hd 32'' lg tv. I will also buy the mac keyboard and mouse.
I am new to macs and have never owned one before i know the powermac cant run snow leopard but it has great spec, will i be happy just on leopard? Im only 15 and will be using stuff like imovie itunes safari garageband and all the other mac stuff hopefully for games.
Thank You and i look foward to hearing some good advice.

-Joel

Edit- Also is there anyway i could change the processor or update the powermac g5 and hopefully be able to use snow leopard once ive done that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
No brainer bro, Mac Mini all the way! :)

BTW: G5s will never be able to run SL. Faster CPUs are expensive and very rare for these too.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Im only 15 and will be using stuff like imovie itunes safari garageband and all the other mac stuff hopefully for games.

Dude...are you living in some sort of "time dilation chamber"?

In a thread at 8am this morning you were 14 years old:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/165904-powermac-g5-snow-leopard.html

Now in this thread at 11:47am (4 hours later) you're 15 years old.

How old will you be in 4 hours from now (4pm)?;D ;D

Does this "time dilation chamber" work in reverse?...cause I wouldn't mind taking off a few years!;D ;D ;D

Just teasing,

- Nick

p.s. Buy the Mac Mini like I mentioned in your other thread!:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Mini all the way... though I'd love to get my PM G5 running again (bad logic board... too much smoke and crap), the mini is now equally capable (probably better for graphics, sadly), and the processor is x86 which means it can run SL and the other future OS releases (hopefully).

Just another note too, the G5 isn't dual core... it's a dual processor machine... i.e. there are 2 processors on 2 different chips. Dual core means 2 cores each at XGHz each but on the same piece of silicon, often with a shared L2 cache.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
^

The later PowerMac G5s were indeed available with dual-core single processors. The quad PowerMac ran 2x dual-cores @ 2.5GHz. These machines had DDR2, PCIe x16 graphics.

Older ones ran single core G5 chips and were available with single and dual processors. These machines ran DDR400 RAM and used AGP x8 graphics.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
^

The later PowerMac G5s were indeed available with dual-core single processors. The quad PowerMac ran 2x dual-cores @ 2.5GHz. These machines had DDR2, PCIe x16 graphics.

Older ones ran single core G5 chips and were available with single and dual processors. These machines ran DDR400 RAM and used AGP x8 graphics.

Excellent point! The last generation of the G5 lineup was "dual or quad" core.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Joel get the Dual Core, but make sure it is a Dual Core with the DDR2 memory and PCIE graphic slots. Minis are like portable typewriters - toys for us guys with big mitts. You will get a lot of fun learning with it, changing graphic cards, superdrives, memory modules, PCIE cards and on and on.

Seriously depends on what you want to do with the machine. A Dual Core with Leopard will surely do me for the next couple of years at least.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
^

+1 point for you... I had totally forgotten about that release.

OP
J
Reaction score
yeah the one i looked at is a dual core G5 and btw nick i did say i was 14 earlyier lol it was my birthday on the 28th august and i forgot that i was 15 now instead of 14. PS I am very glad that I don't age 1 year each 4 hours.
Im still in debate just thing i need to think about but it has been great hearing from you guys and your thoughts.
One point is i have coped without macs latest os for 15 years it wouldn't make much difference if i stayed on leopard with a nice bit of 8gb ram.
Personally i would just like a mac pro that i can fully upgrade and learn loads about computers.
But thanks everyone
-Joel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.