Install 10.5 on powerPC G5

Reaction score
I have an iMac powerPC G5 that was having some problems and my wife lost the 10.4 install disc that came with it. We wound up buying a new iMac anyway, and I thought I could install 10.5 from the CD that came with the new iMac to the power PC G5 to see it that would fix the issues. When I tried booting to this CD I got a message saying OSX could not be installed on this computer. I read online that 10.5 could not be installed on an APM formatted drive so I tried reformatting the drive to GUID, but I still get the error and now I don't have any OS on it. The computer exceeds the min requirements. I would buy the 10.5 retail CD if this would fix the problem, but I'm worried that I'll run into the same error. Any advice?

Thanks,
Tom

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have an iMac powerPC G5 that was having some problems and my wife lost the 10.4 install disc that came with it. We wound up buying a new iMac anyway, and I thought I could install 10.5 from the CD that came with the new iMac to the power PC G5 to see it that would fix the issues. When I tried booting to this CD I got a message saying OSX could not be installed on this computer. I read online that 10.5 could not be installed on an APM formatted drive so I tried reformatting the drive to GUID, but I still get the error and now I don't have any OS on it. The computer exceeds the min requirements. I would buy the 10.5 retail CD if this would fix the problem, but I'm worried that I'll run into the same error. Any advice?

Thanks,
Tom
You cannot use the grey/silver disks from the new iMac on your G5 iMac...the disks are model specific.

An even if you could do it...you're not supposed to...since it's against the Apple EULA (end-user license agreement).

If you need to install 10.5 on your G5 iMac...you need to purchase a retail copy of 10.5.

HTH,

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also the 10.5 DVD that came with that Intel IMac only installs on Intel hardware besides everything Pigoo said above and would never install on a Power PC CPU.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
You can install Leopard on a PowerPC, but you can't do it with disks from another Mac. You have to actually buy it. Sorry!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.