E-mail Help

Reaction score
Hi
I am new to Macintosh and I need alot of help. First thing I need to know is, is it possible to get e- mail notifications without signing on. I have broadband connection and AOL is my ISP. I believe I read somewhere that when I have mail the stamp on the dock will jump up and down. I clicked on that and it keeps asking for a password as if I already have one. Is this only for an imac. account? If so is there any other way around this. When I was using windows before I was able to know if I had mail or if someone I knew was online through my AOL IM. Now I have to keep signing on. Please help.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
mail uses pop and imap accounts, you'll have to setup the account/s in mail's preferences. you can get the info, like in/out servers, etc from your isp. once you've setup the mail account, you can set mail to check for new mail every so many minutes, if you leave mail open, which takes very little from the system, the mail icon in the dock will jump when you
have new mail.

OP
S
Reaction score
Macman said:
mail uses pop and imap accounts, you'll have to setup the account/s in mail's preferences. you can get the info, like in/out servers, etc from your isp. once you've setup the mail account, you can set mail to check for new mail every so many minutes, if you leave mail open, which takes very little from the system, the mail icon in the dock will jump when you
have new mail.

Hi
I finally figured all this out. Now I have some more questions. If my husband is logged into the computer and I click on the mail icon, how can I make it come to my mailbox without him logging out and me logging in?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
in mails preferences, click the accounts tab and create a new account with your email address and info, then, like multiple accounts on the computer, you'll have multiple accounts in mail in his account.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.