Install problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5, Emac G4, Imac G4
:( Help me please? Yesterday I recieved a G4 imac from my brother as a gift for my husband. (Keep in off my G5 imac!) I have tried to install 10.2.3 and also 10.5 but only get so far to where it says where to install the application. The install screen remains empty (no hard drive motif) to click on. I've run disc utility which tells me I have a 149gb hard drive but it doesn't seem to be registering for the installl disc.
As I am a pensioner on a very fixed income I really need to fix this myself. Can anybody come up with some suggestions please. Many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day shortcake and welcome to the forums. There are a few of we Aussies about here.

Well Leopard will only install on a +867MHz processor for starters, and you will not be able to use the G5 Leopard discs , if that is what they in fact are. Jaguar should install if you are using full retail discs, and again not discs from another machine.

Silver grey restore discs are very much machine specific and usually only worth with the model they came with.

Keep us posted?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Why not check eBay for a Tiger disc and install that - a better OS for sure or failing that try Panther,which is Ok but not as good as Tiger. Look for this disc;

Click for full size

And if it is G4 that came with Jaguar then it would probably benefit from more RAM - if it has 256 then adding a 512 stick would do it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks - still working on it

Thankyou both for your prompt replies. My Tiger discs were Emac and wouldn't load so now I know how the computer link specific works. The Leopard 10.5.6 Brand new, went on my Imac G5 but not my G4. The G4 specs are as follows as it has been upgraded. Could this be the problem as the original disc 10.2.3 won't install either?
Power pc @ 1ghz, 256k l2 cache, 1.25 gb mem (1 x 25 mb & 1 x 1024mb). Looks like I've to buy new OP or just bite the bullet and take it to a Mac expert.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's fixed!

Hi there 2 friends,
It's fixed. Wouldn't give up so decided to delete hard drive and see what happens. Nothing to lose. Bingo! Drive motif appeared in Destination and voila it's now installing. Am I happy? I'm dancing on air and my computer illiterate husband reckons at 67 I've finally become a nerd! Thanks guys for your great efforts. I did learn something from you both. Cheers!:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
At 67?? Tell him you is only a spring chicken shortcake with plenty of miles left on the clock yet!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.