Powermac G5 - Snow leopard

Reaction score
Ok here is my issue im 14 and want to buy a mac now ive seen a dual core 2.0ghz powermac g5 with 8gb ram and 500gb for around £600 and i think it is an amazing deal but snow leopard wont operate on the g5 so im debating whether to buy the g5 or not, does anyone know if they will release another os that will operate on the g5 because spending £600 for a machine that may be worthless in a few years seems stupid even if it does have 8gig ram also is snow leopard much better then leopard and it seems to be running tiger so would i need to buy the leopard upgrade and would that come with i life 08/09 with it. Thanks for any help.

Ok so just a quick correction im actually 15 not 14 i forgot my birthday was only last week

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
imho - the purchase of any Mac with a PPC is virtually worthless to the purchaser now

It may hold some value to the existing users of those machines that are satisfied with their current setups and software they are running without the need for upgrade. The ones that are for sale, those machines have become obsolete even to their owners.

I could not in good conscience recommend the purchase of any 4 yr old (or older) computer to anyone. Especially if you have the thought that it should last you 2-4 more years.

I would think, for that same money you could get a new mini, which would probably run just as well as that G5 with the exception of the video card - maybe.

And no, iLife is not part of the OS, it is a separate suite of software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
That machine is way over priced I'm afraid.

I sold my old PowerMac G5 (dual 2.7GHz) for 550 pound in January with Leopard, iLife '08 etc...

That machine is way overpriced.

Look for a used Intel iMac or even a Mac Mini. Both would out do the G5 and you're able to run SL and Intel only apps - which are of course the future..

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks it just seems that buying a mac mini for £499 without a keyboard or mouse that cost like £30-£50 each with basic spec like 1gig ram and 120gb hd just seems really stupid to me but i havent owned a mac before and there os is ment to make the computer run a lot faster and smoother so i just dont know what to do.

OP
J
Reaction score
I mean do you think its worth waiting a while untill the new models of the imac and mac mini come out and will hopefully be cheaper and better spec for my money?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
I know how you feel, I was in the same boat. People told me to get an iMac instead of the PowerMac but because I wanted something cheap and disposable as I was going to get a Mac Pro I got one anyway and lost 50 pound in six months on the deal.

Long term, I would have got the iMac as it was superior in every department.

The mini your looking at on the Apple store would be a much better buy than the G5 your looking at - plus it comes with iLife '09, SL and 1 yrs warranty.

If you have a monitor, keyboard & mouse (PC parts work fine BTW) then its a great buy!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If paying 500 for a new computer doesn't make sense, how much sense does it make to pay 600 + another 200 for Leopard and iLife for a 4 year old computer with no chance of any future upgrade to the OS nor to a boatload of apps out there?

The time to buy a computer is when you need one. There will always be something better, cheaper and faster coming down the turnpike. Although, even this has dramatically slowed down this decade.

Personally don't see the Mac line-up being refreshed unless they've figured out how to cool the i7 in an all-in-one enclosure or until Intel actually releases the new i5 that's been only talked about thus far. They're already sitting maxed out with the current Core2Duo chips. There is no place for them to go in that regard.

I might wait the 2 days until what ever announcement is being made on Tuesday.

OP
J
Reaction score
Ok so im defo not going to go for a g5 i mean the mac mini seems sensible to me i would be able to plug that into my lg 32'' full hd lcd tv which will look pretty cool i mean iv got a wireless mouse and a crap wired acer keyboard so i suppose mini is the best option i really want to use it as a bit of a really good music system maybe with some bose companion speakers but i mean you just dont get much spec for your money

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ok so im defo not going to go for a g5 i mean the mac mini seems sensible to me i would be able to plug that into my lg 32'' full hd lcd tv which will look pretty cool i mean iv got a wireless mouse and a crap wired acer keyboard so i suppose mini is the best option i really want to use it as a bit of a really good music system maybe with some bose companion speakers but i mean you just dont get much spec for your money

One option that hasn't been mentioned is purchasing a used Intel Mac Mini or iMac.

If you were willing to purchase a used G5...then you should also be ok with purchasing a used Intel Mac Mini or an Intel iMac.

Keep your eye's open for one of these.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes thanks nick i have been searching the listings of ebay for both for a long time now and have found a few good deals but as macs go they do stick pretty near to their rrp which is quite a good thing if i did buy a new one and wanted to upgrade in a few years.

OP
J
Reaction score
I think im right in saying that on the 8th/9th their might be some annoucements from apple. Especially focusing on the ipod touch 3rd gen which i sold my ipod touch a week ago to get ready for the third gen my reason for thinking it will be released on the 8th or 9th is on the apple website you get a free ipod touch with every mac you purchase and it ends on the 8th of sept. Does anyone know which events for technology may be taking place on the 8th or 9th and hopefully they will release a new line up of macs with better spec and a bit cheaper i mean the last mac mini starting price was like £399 and imacs was £799 so hopefully they will come down in price.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes thanks nick i have been searching the listings of ebay for both for a long time now and have found a few good deals but as macs go they do stick pretty near to their rrp which is quite a good thing if i did buy a new one and wanted to upgrade in a few years.

Well as you know...Mac Mini's are relatively low cost compared to other Macintosh's. So when the price is low to start with...the used value can't decrease or depreciate quite as quickly as with more expensive computers.

The Intel Mac Mini's were first released back in 2006...so I would think that you would be able to find a used Mac Mini within your £600 budget.

Just got to be patient & wait for the right deal to pop up!:)

Good luck,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i mean the last mac mini starting price was like £399 and imacs was £799 so hopefully they will come down in price.

There really has not been any rumors that new hardware is going to be released soon...but you never know...so you could wait until September 9th or later to see.

You said that your computer budget is £600...if that's the case...why not just buy a new Mac Mini for £499 at the Apple Store...and get it over with?

Mac mini - Apple Store (U.K.)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
i mean i could just go buy one from the mac store but i was try to find the best deal so im going to wait for a good deal to pop up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.