Macbook repair, free iLife 09 Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Hey people,
I am mostly directing this to people who have extensive experience with Apple Genius bar and Apple Care. My 13" Macbook white was purchased in June 08. This month, August 09-Sept 09, my topcase keyboard and trackpad randomly stopped working. Interestingly the power button still works, which I know belongs to the top case, so thankfully I could still use the computer by plugging in external USB keyboard and mouse. That is a very ghetto way to use a laptop, I admit. But at least I could use it. I record lots of music using my favorite recording software ever so far, Garageband, with my MBox2. But then another problem...2 weeks later on September 3... the computer shuts down randomly . I press the power button to turn back on. Immediately, the fan is running somewhat loudly and apple chime sound comes on. I then see a light blue screen for 3 seconds and then the whole computer and fan shuts off. I let it sit for 5 minutes. I try again, same thing. same thing. same thing. same thing. You get the idea. Luckily all my recorded music and file are all backed up on my external hard drive. I take it to apple store, I assure them I DID NOT SPILL ANYTHING ON THE LAPTOP. I don't have Apple Care and it's 2 months over warranty so I agree to pay $280+tax to send my Macbook to Texas, apparently and they will replace my logic board most likely and my topcase. Very annoying but the man at the Genius bar was very helpful and checking all he could and assured me that my computer should be coming back to me the way it should be when I get it back in a week. Anyone with a similar problem and your results, comments. Would Apple possibly give me Snow Leopard or iLife '09 for free if I can make a fuss about my computer's hardware not working for no apparent reason. I know I did not mishandle my laptop, I am very careful with my valuables. This seems to be a common thing for other People with Macbook whites from 2008. I've seen many videos on Youtube and in countless other forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MBP: 2.26 C2D, 4GB, 160GB
I doubt you'll get anything for free unless you talk to higher up manager or something. But even that, it was out of warranty, so thats on you...sux man

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.