Connecting my MacBook Pro 13 to a Samsung TV

Reaction score
I have having some issues here. I purchased the dvi to hdmi adapter and was able to get the picture to display while via mirroring in the display options. I am not able to get sound to play from the TV though. It seems like the because I am using an HDMI cable to connect, the TV expects the sound to be coming through that port and will not look to receive the sound from next to the VGA port. (That is where the 3.5 input is on the TV)
Does anybody know how I can get the sound to play on the TV?
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" alluminum MacBook Pro 2.53
what I did was plug the MacBook to my surround system. HDMI carries sound and the TVs are set to use HMDI as audio and video

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Many, many TV's do not have the capability of using sound from an input separate from the HDMI port the video is coming in on.

Need to open up your Samsung manual. They do have some models that have one of the HDMI ports set up for connecting computers and have separate audio in for that one HDMI port only.

If yours does not have that option, you'll either need to use VGA or run the audio from your Mac to your A/V receiver.

Reaction score
what I do is use a sound system on your computer.... HDMI is a high-def multimedia input which sends sound... but your adapter, DVI cuts out sound. So if our macbook pros had a HDMI input (thus making it HDMI (from comp) -- to HDMI (on TV)), then it would send sound as well as video, it does not have that on the macbook pro.

get a good sound system hooked up to your computer, hook up DVI (comp) -- HDMI (tv), and do it that way? Probably much easier than trying to find a way to use your tv (which will have crappier sound than getting a good speakers/sub woofer?)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.