Dropped powerbook not detecting wireless

Reaction score
I resantly dropped my 5 year old powerbook a few feet onto carpet. At first I was having a problem where if I moved it around too much it would stop working and an error message would pop up telling me to restart my computer.

That somehow fixed itself, but now my problem is I cannot detect wireless internet. My airport status doesn't show in my menu bar, and in Internet Connect the airport on/off button and the network bar are not even selectable.

If anyone out there knows how to fix this it would be greatly appreciated!

OP
J
Reaction score
I resantly dropped my 5 year old powerbook a few feet onto carpet. At first I was having a problem where if I moved it around too much it would stop working and an error message would pop up telling me to restart my computer.

That somehow fixed itself, but now my problem is I cannot detect wireless internet. My airport status doesn't show in my menu bar, and in Internet Connect the airport on/off button and the network bar are not even selectable.

If anyone out there knows how to fix this it would be greatly appreciated!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: merged duplicate threads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
You do not say which model but on some of the later ones you could take off the keyboard and reseat the airport card and hope that that sorts it.

OP
J
Reaction score
it's a powerbook g4 12". i don't think i can take the keyboard out, but i think i can take off the front base part. I just need to find a small enough screw driver and I'll post later my result.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
No sure about the 12" but it may be in thru battery compartment - have a search for your model - there will be instructions on fitting airport card

Reaction score
On the 12" powerbook the airport card is accessed through the battery compartment. There are two little plastic pieces to keep the card from moving around. Sounds like yours may have shifted in the fall. When you open it up, watch for two small 'shims.'

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.