Never Upgraded OS Before...

Reaction score
Ok I have never upgraded to a new OS on a mac before. Coming from the windows world. I always erased my HD and then installed the OS, do I have to do this too to upgrade to leopard? Should I erase my HD using disk utility and then boot from the CD and install? Or should I just pop in the CD and simply install from there?

Reaction score
Ok I have never upgraded to a new OS on a mac before. Coming from the windows world. I always erased my HD and then installed the OS, do I have to do this too to upgrade to leopard? Should I erase my HD using disk utility and then boot from the CD and install? Or should I just pop in the CD and simply install from there?
Before you pop in the cd, boot up from your original installation disk and do a disk and permissions repair as a precaution. Then restart on the macintosh HD, insert the DVD and follow the instructions. Do not disturb the computer until the installation is finished and you should be ok.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Follow what cr8054 said, but also it's a good idea to make a backup with time machine if you have an external HD that way if something somehow does go bad, you have some way of getting everything back to the way it was (including your data)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
He can't make a back up with Time Machine if he is upgrading to Leopard. Use Carbon Copy Cloner maybe.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.