Core Duo Battery Question

Reaction score
Hello,
My battery for my macbook pro core duo says my current battery capacity is 874 mAh .. 15%. It also says my battery isn't charging. As well it says Service Battery under the charger area. Now previously I was not able to use my macbook pro battery for more than 30 minutes or less. Now should i just buy a new battery, if so where can i get a core duo battery from "cheaply". Or should I at this point, go into apple and have them check it out since it says service battery?

Thanks,
Kamron

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello,
My battery for my macbook pro core duo says my current battery capacity is 874 mAh .. 15%. It also says my battery isn't charging. As well it says Service Battery under the charger area. Now previously I was not able to use my macbook pro battery for more than 30 minutes or less. Now should i just buy a new battery, if so where can i get a core duo battery from "cheaply". Or should I at this point, go into apple and have them check it out since it says service battery?

Thanks,
Kamron

Where should you get a new battery cheaply? It would probably help us to know where you are located...and how comfortable you are with ordering a battery via the internet vs. purchasing face to face in a store.

Depending on what country you are from...it may not make sense to order from a store in the UK, Australia, or the United States...due to import taxes, shipping costs, or VAT fees.

- Nick

OP
Q
Reaction score
Apologies i'm in PA, united states near harrisburg and lancaster . But when i said order online, i mainly meant online, becuase generally things like this seem (i could be mistaken) to be cheaper online.

As well, I may get a new macbook within a year, so would it be even worth it (in your opinion) to even get a new battery? Is there any lasting effects a shoddy battery, besides always needing to be plugged in would do?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apologies i'm in PA, united states near harrisburg and lancaster . But when i said order online, i mainly meant online, becuase generally things like this seem (i could be mistaken) to be cheaper online.

As well, I may get a new macbook within a year, so would it be even worth it (in your opinion) to even get a new battery? Is there any lasting effects a shoddy battery, besides always needing to be plugged in would do?

Thanks for the location information.

In your 2nd post you said:

"But when i said order online, i mainly meant online,"

You never said anything (in your 1st post) about ordering online...so how can anyone know that is your preference?

In any case...if it's still going to be a year (12 months) before you will be purchasing a new MacBook...depending on how often you need to run off of the battery...sure it would be worth it to buy a new battery. But if you don't use your laptop unplugged very often...then don't get a new battery.

There shouldn't be any "lasting effects" using a battery that's almost gone.

Regarding battery prices...well again...you haven't given enough information. We have no idea what model MacBook Pro you have...so it's hard to help you find a price on a specific replacement battery.

But Apple mostly charges $129 dollars for a new replacement battery...so any price lower than that would be a savings.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
Q
Reaction score
Sorry i meant when i said ordering, I meant ordering online. I am very tired. I have a macbook pro core duo x1600 graphics card. Not sure if that is all the information you would need. I am just confused where to get in online... i see batteries but they are for the newer macbook/macbook pros

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is the processor speed of your MacBook Pro & what size screen do you have?

Also...you probably shouldn't post the serial number of your laptop on the internet. If I was you, I would go back & remove that from your post.

- Nick

OP
Q
Reaction score
My Processor Speed is 2ghz and my screen size is a 15inch i belive, although i can't remember where to find out that information specifically.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here are a couple places for batteries:

MA348GA MacBook Pro 15.4" Battery

Apple MacBook Pro 15 inch battery|Apple MacBook Pro 15 inch laptop battery

The first place is out of stock...the 2nd place has them. Both places charge $80-$85 dollars...which is much less than the $129 Apple price.

You should also double check that these are the correct battery for your computer...just in case there is some confusion regarding your laptop's specifications.

I have never purchased a battery from these places...so I cannot say if they are good or not.

By the way...I found these places using "Google"...so I'm sure you can do the same if you want to search further.;D

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 13'' 2.0 GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD
You can find genuine Apple batteries from resellers on Ebay for about half the price. But make sure they're trusted resellers, I wouldn't mess around with batteries of dubious origin. Otherwise, Amazon might save you some money too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
How many charge cycles do you have on the battery?

If you can get to an Apple store, go there and have them running a diagnostic. I am on my third battery since the first two was deemed faulty after the test and were replaced free of charge, out of the normal warranty period.

OP
Q
Reaction score
I have a current battery capacity 846mAh. Uhm battery-loadcycles is 163. Is that what you were looking for? And coconutBattery says my mac is 44 months old. So i figure it's not a defective battery, but just needing a replacement battery. Maybe i will call apple and see what they say, but i doubt i'd get any luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How many charge cycles do you have on the battery?

If you can get to an Apple store, go there and have them running a diagnostic. I am on my third battery since the first two was deemed faulty after the test and were replaced free of charge, out of the normal warranty period.

Really?? Where did you take it to? I see you're from London. I live in Oxford and when I asked about my battery having only 145 load cycles and being pretty much dead, the guy at the local Apple Service store just dismissed me saying it's normal for old batteries to deteriorate really quickly even if you don't use them much. (This is the same guy who told me Macbooks can't turn on without the battery, btw :Not-Amused: ). I might take it down to London for them to have a look.

Qua Sar, as far as I'm aware, it's not normal for a battery to lose its capacity so quickly. I remember reading that Apple guarantees for its batteries up to 300 load cycles.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Qua Sar, as far as I'm aware, it's not normal for a battery to lose its capacity so quickly. I remember reading that Apple guarantees for its batteries up to 300 load cycles.

Please be careful how you use the word "guarantee"...this can imply that if a battery goes bad before 300 cycles...that the problem will be rectified in some way.

The Apple warranty does not cover laptop batteries (unless they are defective in some way)...because they are considered "consumables". So unfortunately...there is no "guarantee" when it comes to batteries.

- Nick

OP
Q
Reaction score
Alright, I'll give apple a call then. It's a 2006 macbook pro... and If i remember i know there was heat and battery issues during that time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.