Can't record streaming audio

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I don't really know anything about sound recording, so this may be a painfully simple issue and if so, I apologise...

I'm trying to record a digital radio broadcast and have downloaded numerous programs to do this (Audacity, Soundflower etc) and none of them seem to work.

When I've gone into my Sound Settings i've noticed that when I go into the Input tab, if I have the Internal Microphone: Built-in Microphone selected, the meter recognises any sound I make. However, when I select Line In: Built-In Input, the meter doesn't move at all, even though I'm playing music or something.

As I say, this might be something ridiculously obvious, but I have no knowledge in this field whatsoever and the few things I can think to try have not worked.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Oli

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
I can highly recommend Audio Hijack Pro.

Works wonders for me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
I'm not clear - are we talking about FM radio or a stream?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
For streaming audio i use VLC

If you running SL you will have to have rosetta installed.

if you want to record streaming if you have VLC
goto
File/Streaming/Exporting Wizard
you get

[URL="
http://skitch.com/tattooedmac/b6rab/streaming-transcoding-wizard-1 [URL="
http://skitch.com/tattooedmac/b6rar/streaming-transcoding-wizard-1-1 [URL="
http://skitch.com/tattooedmac/b6rag/streaming-transcoding-wizard-2

As you click next you will be asked what format u want to save it in. RAW works for me.
Then select a place to save it to. And the last place is a Summary page. Check if all is good then click finish and then you should have the stream recording..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Hi everyone,

I don't really know anything about sound recording, so this may be a painfully simple issue and if so, I apologise...

I'm trying to record a digital radio broadcast and have downloaded numerous programs to do this (Audacity, Soundflower etc) and none of them seem to work.

When I've gone into my Sound Settings i've noticed that when I go into the Input tab, if I have the Internal Microphone: Built-in Microphone selected, the meter recognises any sound I make. However, when I select Line In: Built-In Input, the meter doesn't move at all, even though I'm playing music or something.

As I say, this might be something ridiculously obvious, but I have no knowledge in this field whatsoever and the few things I can think to try have not worked.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Oli

Unless you have a microphone plugged in to your computer, the "Line-In" option won't work. If your microphone is not plugged in, the Internal Microphone is your best bet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.