• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Removing a partition

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 10.4 blue 22" Display G5 10.5.8 dual2ghz BenQ e2220hd
good day all, would anyone know if it is possible to un-partition my main drive

I'm working with finalcutpro and my main drive is only 40gig so I have a partition of 19gig for my scratch disk and I'm left with just 9gig on the operating system side after app's installed, as my projects get larger i find my G4 10.3.9 wants to stop for tea,
I would like to un-partition and use another large drive as my scratch disk freeing up the main drive in the hope it wont feel over crowded,

would removing the partition wipe the drive completely leaving it unable to install the OS.

I do have another G4 startup drive 30gig without a partition, would one assist the other in this delicate operation,

any help would be marvelous,

thank you indeed. blodwyn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes it will stop for tea and supper with such tiny spare space available. To work anywhere near maximum performance you need 15-20% free hard drive space. Using Disk Utility to remove the partition will format the drive.

You can remove a partition without wiping the drive but it is very complicated using Terminal. I think your go would be to bite the bullet and pop a new drive in, remembering up to 2002 Quicksilver can only see a maximum of 128GBS, so if it is earlier a 120GB HDD would make a huge difference. As you are finding out those old 40 and 30GB HDD are just not big enough to run OS X and applications.

If you want to see what Terminal involves here is a link:-

macosxhints.com - Modify partitions without wiping the entire disk

And Blodwyn with a new, bigger faster HDD maintained with MainMenu or Onyx, you could install Tiger OS X.4 which is much faster than Panther.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Disk Utility can do it. I have never partitioned and/or unpartitioned a hard drive, as I am just fine with virtual machines, so this is just a theory. Go into Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/) and go to the top disk. Not the "Macintosh HD", but the drive the Macintosh HD is on. You can just delete the partition that you don't want, or erase and set its size to 0 GB. Then set your Macintosh HD's size to almost the size of the entire drive. For example, my Hitachi HDD is 250.06GB, but my Macintosh HD volume is only 249.58GB.

Hope that helps.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank you for your reply,
my mac is g4blue with dual 533MHz powerpc 1.25gigram,
I would like to up-grade to tiger, may I ask is it possable to install the OS on a 125gig drive, and then [remove the old drive]? is there a regestry like the microsoft pc's,

also if I remove the partition with disk utility would that wipe the regestry??, I would like to re-instaling the OS. but am worried that if I do un-partition I will end up with a blank drive, or is formating the drive the regestry(footprint),

sorry to be un savy,

Ok,to re-cap, I do intend to upgrade to 10.4 tiger, I need to install the OS on a large drive I have a 125gighdd, I understand that, the speed of the drive I dont know, what would be exceptable and where do I look to find the speed, ,

I will archive all my files and try the un-partition with disk utility first,

Thank you again for your help
Blodwyn.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you delete a partition or format a partition, yes, you will delete everything on that partition.

registry??? - don't understand this as there is no registry in any OS except Windows

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
good day bobtomay,
So if I delete the patition on the main drive I can then simply re-install the OSX with out a hitch,

Would his mean I can install OS X to any drive I choose and then remove the original drive, If so, how civilized these mac's are..

thank you very much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.